• Advertisement

smoking briggs

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

smoking briggs

Postby barrentine934_+ » Mon Nov 16, 2015 8:29 am

B & S model 283707
type 0148
ser.92012011
engine runs good but when the mower turns sharpe to the left it smokes.sounds crazy but true.any ideas on the problem?
barrentine934_+

Advertisement

Re: smoking briggs

Postby KE4AVB » Mon Nov 16, 2015 9:47 am

Being a '92 and a L-head I would suspect a worn exhaust valve guide. Just a thought though as I think the engine is probably mounted with the engine cylinder facing rearward with oil backing up in breather chamber on hard lefts.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby HondaG100 » Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:04 am

Not knowing this setup I can add nothing except congrats KE4AVB for posting a solution that if true will be both interesting and a good catch. :popcorn:
HondaG100
Guide

Postby wristpin » Fri Nov 20, 2015 3:05 pm

KE4AVB wrote:Being a '92 and a L-head I would suspect a worn exhaust valve guide. Just a thought though as I think the engine is probably mounted with the engine cylinder facing rearward with oil backing up in breather chamber on hard lefts.

Creative thinking!
Several years ago we had a Briggs vertical shaft motor on an MTD rider which would over rev on a fast tight turn (cant remember whether left or right) After a bit of head scratching we found that the teeth of the plastic governor gear were worn and it was slipping when loaded up by the oil surge!
wristpin
Forum Pro

Postby barrentine934_+ » Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:04 pm

I removed the head and valves.I checked the valves in the guides and not much wear at all.I did notice a bad place on the head gasket so i put her back together with a new valve job and head gasket.Started it up and run for 30 minutes and not one bit of smoke.Head gasket or valve job fixed it.thanks guys
barrentine934_+

Postby okie » Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:49 pm

barrentine934_+ wrote:I removed the head and valves.I checked the valves in the guides and not much wear at all.I did notice a bad place on the head gasket so i put her back together with a new valve job and head gasket.Started it up and run for 30 minutes and not one bit of smoke.Head gasket or valve job fixed it.thanks guys

Thanks for getting back to us on the forum. That info may help me or someone else one of the days.

Travis :usa: .
John 3:16
okie
Forum Pro

Return to Technical Discussion Forum