• Advertisement

PP5020 Fuel leakage

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

PP5020 Fuel leakage

Postby KE4AVB » Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:10 am

Isn't getting the parts we need fun? Just venting my frustration...

Here is what I ran into yesterday. Its a Poulan Pro PP5020 that was leaking fuel. It turns out to be the fuel tank grommet in the chassis had shrunk. According to the IPL the only way to get the grommet is to order and replace the entire chassis (Crankcase). This would require completely disassembling the power-head just to fix a fuel leak. On top of that they used a non standard size fuel that looks to be a proprietary Tygon LP1100 line. The standard size F4040 that has the same OD as the original line will not fit the carburetor fittings nor the fuel filter. It would require a line reducing adapter to make things work with aftermarket lines.

I did replace the fuel using a larger size and reduce it down to one that would fit the carburetor fittings. And of course that stock fuel filter will no longer fit the new line so it had to be changed too. The customer needed a new filter anyway as there was no filter with unit when I got it.

Why Husqvarna used a proprietary fuel line is beyond me on this saw other than they just want us to buy their fuel line kits.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: PP5020 Fuel leakage

Postby dougand3 » Wed Nov 18, 2015 1:15 pm

That does sound ridiculous. Does the new bigger fuel line seal tank hole w/o a grommet?
dougand3
Forum Regular

Postby KE4AVB » Wed Nov 18, 2015 1:52 pm

Since I couldn't get the grommet I left it in place and used a 1/4" OD Tygon f4040 line and reduced it down to a .080 ID line to fit the carburetor fitting. The .211 OD line was too loose of a fit. It did fit but it slid easily when lightly tugged and with the expected line compression shrinkage it would have not provided a positive seal long. On top of that the .211 OD with an ID of .117 didn't fit the carburetor fitting.

Now I got decide if I want to order HDPE or Nylon reducers. I seem to need them a lot for my older Homelite tank conversions. The lines with the new tanks won't seal properly for me.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Wed Nov 18, 2015 2:30 pm

With some additional cross referencing of the chassis pn I have found that the PP4818A had used the the same chassis. When I dug through that model's ipl I came up with a different line kit pn which does include the grommet. The PP4818A line kit is PN 580727101 and PP5020AV line kit is 530069599.

Now how that for hiding info. Even customer service (Dixie Sales) couldn't find this; of course, they probably didn't really try either. That is twice Husqvarna customer service has failed me in the last month. It looks we are having to depending ourselves to find what we need by cross referencing parts to other models.

The one left is one I was the one I was needing and the one on the right is what was listed for it.
Image Image

This like the T540 that a fellow tech was needing a piston for. The current part number listed isn't listed anywhere for sell but using several different IPLs I was able to find what the old number was that fit his current cylinder part number. Husqvarna is getting to be one screwed up company as they appear they don't even what each other is now doing. I hoping things was going to straighten after sometime from all the mergers but that appears to be a long way off yet.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby dougand3 » Wed Nov 18, 2015 4:00 pm

Good detective work on your part, AVB. You shouldn't have to do it, tho!
dougand3
Forum Regular

Return to Technical Discussion Forum