• Advertisement

Husqvarna 3120 Chain Saw Kicking Back

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Re: Husqvarna 3120 Chain Saw Kicking Back

Postby Skywatcher » Fri Nov 27, 2015 11:34 am

Hi Again

KE4, I have ordered 2 of those coils from Amazon to be shipped to our Montana pick-up point (at that price, who knows how reliable they'll be).

38, I was contacted by Dixie-Savantage a few years ago about being a HOP warranty shop. They told me that Husqvarna Canada Corporation had recommended me to them. When I order parts, I go through the Service Bench tech link.

BG, Indeed, there is a serial number break in the production as indicated by the service bulletin (link provided by KE4). Change occurred in 2000 with S/N 004800001 for this variant. This change happened when I was just a Jonsered dealer so never received that bulletin. Husqvarna dropped my earlier this year siting my volume turn over wasn't high enough to meet their requirements.

I will keep you all posted with progress once we collect the new coils. Thanks again for all your help,

Sky
A person who sees Quality and feels it as he works is a person who cares.
A person who cares about what he sees and does is a person who's bound to have some characteristics of Quality.
Robert M. Pirsig. (Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance)
Skywatcher
Forum Pro

Location: Southern Alberta. Where the wheatlands meet the Range.

Postby dougand3 » Fri Nov 27, 2015 12:23 pm

+1 on fleabay. There's a 544018801 with a spark plug for $4.99 shipped.
dougand3
Forum Regular

Postby Skywatcher » Fri Nov 27, 2015 11:41 pm

Serendipity Lends a Hand

Different customer brought in a Husqvarna 3120K concrete or cut off saw this afternoon, no compression, suspect rings if not cylinder too. Unit has the same 2 leg coil so borrowed it to try on 3120 with the kickback problem. With the right coil, this beast purrs like a tiger. Not quite the rumbling sound as described by Steve Earl (Copper Head Road) but a strong healthy idle none the less. Will put the new coil on when it gets here and return borrowed coil to 3120K. All the best,

Sky
A person who cares about what he sees and does is a person who's bound to have some characteristics of Quality.
Skywatcher
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Sat Nov 28, 2015 8:41 am

Glad to hear that your were able to verify that the kickback problem was the coil.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby maddog355 » Sat Nov 28, 2015 5:32 pm

KE4 nice catch, Hats off to ya.
maddog355

Postby Skywatcher » Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:10 pm

Final Update

Went down States side on Saturday and collected new coils. Installed one of them this afternoon, hey presto—problem solved, machine repaired. Should have a happy customer once I tally the work order and call him. Thanks again for all your help,

Sky
Skywatcher
Forum Pro

Previous

Return to Technical Discussion Forum