• Advertisement

lawnboy hard start

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

lawnboy hard start

Postby 38racing » Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:14 pm

Same mower with the coil issue. I am running the original coil. After sitting for a period of time it won't start. It has a primer but no choke. It sounds /feels like the primer is working but it only starts if I remove air cleaner and spray carb cleaner into air intake. Are these lawnboy primers similar to tecumseh one that pressurize the fuel bowl and force fuel through main jet? I had one of those fail once because of bad carb bowl gasket. I guess I will elevate it so I can see if fuel is actually going into carb on priming.
38racing
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: lawnboy hard start

Postby bgsengine » Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:09 pm

Trick with most primer bulbs - Not a hard and fast rule (I can think of a couple designs that don't match) but most of the time if a primer bulb has a vent hole (usually in the bulb) they're a "dry" bulb in that the bulb pushes air to the carb to force fuel somewhere - Other type is the unvented "Wet Bulb" primer where it actually sucks in fuel and then pushes fuel out to the carburetor (They'll usually have a check valve in the system somewhere)

Most lawnboy primers I have seen have vents in the middle of the bulb, so would be the "dry bulb" type but as noted, there's a couple styles I can think of that are not the "typical" - some Tecumseh primers draw in air from inside the carburetor air intake and pressurize the fuel bowl - they're a "dry bulb" too - there's other primer styles where the vent is located in the base, and are also dry bulb but won't find a vent in the bulb itself..

The ones with vents in the bulb are sealed by the finger pushing on the bulb - but they can develop cracks that leak, lines can leak, etc - or as you noted fuel bowl gasket can leak. easy test - block off the primer line where it hooks to carburetor and see if the bulb will press in or if it resists as pressure builds - (it should build pressure and hold pressure until released) if it passes that test then you're probably looking at carburetor service of some type.
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Return to Technical Discussion Forum