• Advertisement

honda

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

honda

Postby Luffydog » Wed Dec 02, 2015 9:53 pm

i think it is a gvc190.. i had one in the shop for a service. wierd engine. if u was to take a square and cut it at a 45 degree angle this is what this engine looks like. has anyone been into one of these yet? looks like a night mare from the start. trying to get a junk one donated to me for science..... :lol:
Luffydog
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: honda

Postby bgsengine » Wed Dec 02, 2015 9:56 pm

Yup - thats how they build those hondas - no head to remove - valve service requires complete engine tear-down to get valves out there's lots of them out there and has been for a number of years now
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby Skywatcher » Thu Dec 03, 2015 12:35 am

Hi Luffy

Although the crankcase halves join on the diagonal, all the bolts and alignment dowels are parallel to the crankshaft. The hardest part about getting these engines apart is separating the sealant that holds the crankcase halves together. Once you're inside, there's almost nothing to them, just the crankshaft, cam belt and governor. Everything else is up in the top of the cylinder. If one of these engines comes in on a lawn mower and has zero compression, check for a bent valve cover from hitting a tree etc. If the cover gets bent in too far, rocker can't move all the way so valve doesn't close.

With the valves being parallel to the cylinder, if a valve gets stuck, the piston just pushes it back towards the seat. If the cam gear gets out of time, you'll get a broken rocker and not a broken valve or piston. If memory serves me correctly, the cam belt is supposed to be changed every 400 hours of engine run time. I'm not sure what the life expectancy is for these engines, I've heard anything from 400 to 1,600 hours, depends who you talk to. All the best,

Sky
A person who sees Quality and feels it as he works is a person who cares.
A person who cares about what he sees and does is a person who's bound to have some characteristics of Quality.
Robert M. Pirsig. (Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance)
Skywatcher
Forum Pro

Location: Southern Alberta. Where the wheatlands meet the Range.

Postby Luffydog » Thu Dec 03, 2015 7:49 am

we dont see alot of hondas here much. if i have seen them its been awhile or my memory is shot. glad the other tech works on the smaller stuff. honda stands for- hunk of nothing dumb a$$ ..... that what my ole pappy always told me ....
Luffydog
Forum Pro

Return to Technical Discussion Forum