• Advertisement

Infrared testing of 2 cycle temps?

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Re: Infrared testing of 2 cycle temps?

Postby 38racing » Wed Dec 16, 2015 8:19 pm

I see that I can get my ebay version now for $12 CDN (about $ 9USD) via a slow mail from China on amazon.ca. Or they have a tinytach for $180 CDN from Briggs
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Thu Dec 17, 2015 3:07 am

Arkie wrote:
38racing wrote:I see some units that looks like 3 or 4 wraps of the insulated pickup lead around the plug wire. Think of it as a inductive pickup or antenna without direct contact similar to whats used on inductive pickup to trigger timing lights. The ones that have more than one wrap around the plug wire were shown or indicated permanent mount to equipment for both hour meter and rpm. :popcorn:

To me it is nothing but step-down transformer. This mutual inductance is how a transformer works anyway; unless, it is an auto transformer which uses direct conversion. I got RF amps here that have three turns of wire thru a metal tube and handful ferrite beads that steps down the impedance and voltage by a factor of 4 to 1. It basic single wire with a center tap wrap over by three turns separated by thin layer of air or in my case heavy enamel paint coating as an insulator.

Here is of the transformer that my RF uses.

It doesn't take a physical transformer core either as air can be used as a core. The same principle can be demonstrated by holding florescence light tube parallel to high voltage transport wires. It demonstrates the magnetic induction principle and just how much magnetic radiation we are exposed to daily especially on those days of extreme power usage.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Thu Dec 17, 2015 10:21 am

Arkie wrote:Their site is not as user friendly as this site, the threads just keep getting further down on the list with time and don't go back to the top as they get replies and next thing you know you can't hardly even find your own thread unless you do some deep searching.

Arkie,

The replies does move the post back to the top of list; the problem is that the site is that active and new replies to posts quickly get move down the list of posts as new posts are listed. I had some my posts get very far down the list before I get a reply which is I use the "received email of new posts to watched threads". I haven't received the notices for over a week before someone ran across my post and reply. Now one site I work on doesn't move the new posts to the top so subscriptions are vital on it. I got project that was I involved in on the AnswerArmy site that I just help finish that was 3 months old and was completely scroll off site listing feature but I still got replies and posted replies.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby Arkie » Thu Dec 17, 2015 4:44 pm

KE4AVB wrote:
Arkie wrote:Their site is not as user friendly as this site, the threads just keep getting further down on the list with time and don't go back to the top as they get replies and next thing you know you can't hardly even find your own thread unless you do some deep searching.

Arkie,

The replies does move the post back to the top of list; the problem is that the site is that active and new replies to posts quickly get move down the list of posts as new posts are listed. I had some my posts get very far down the list before I get a reply which is I use the "received email of new posts to watched threads". I haven't received the notices for over a week before someone ran across my post and reply. Now one site I work on doesn't move the new posts to the top so subscriptions are vital on it. I got project that was I involved in on the AnswerArmy site that I just help finish that was 3 months old and was completely scroll off site listing feature but I still got replies and posted replies.

Thanks for the info about the arborist site refreshing to the top of threads. I subbed to the received mail for my threads plus some others and begin to think I had bad breath, every time I would go their my thread was on page 2 or 3 and sometimes had to go to my email or my account and pull up a old reply or find my subscriptions to find my thread several pages away and only one day old or less. I tried brushing my teeth taking a shower and using mouth wash and still got ignored! :popcorn: ;)
I was thinking about calling Donald Trump for help! :roll: ;)
Arkie
Forum Pro

Postby JonCraig » Sat Dec 19, 2015 8:59 pm

Arkie wrote:Good eye!

That's me

KE4AVB wrote:Of course I go by "AVB" over there myself.

Ah--I should have figured! I'm JonCraig over there. (Terribly creative, I am.)

--JC
JonCraig
Forum Regular

Postby Arkie » Fri Feb 19, 2016 8:51 pm

Finally got around to confirming that the chainsaw that was overheating due to a lean carb adjustment was NOT overheating due to too High RPM's, but due to lean adjustment of carb.
I used a new Echo Pet-304 pulse tach. Very good fast responding tach and very user friendly.

Stihl 028AV had been overheating while into a full cut of a 16 bar in a green pine log.
The tach indicated.
Idle average of 2250
No Load max rpm of 10, 200
While running in full cut under load 6000-72000 rpms.
infrared thermometer indicated that saw max jug temp was 360 F with carb H adjusted to rich condition and slow getting too 360..
When the H jet was set too Lean the jug temp would reach 400 fast when the saw was under load. I did not attempt too see how high the temp would reach due to ruining the saw.
I checked some other brand of saws such as Homelites, Poulans and Craftsman, McCulloch and average temp under load was around 340-360F.
A good chainsaw can be easily ruined very fast (scored piston and cylinder) if running lean.
I'll be using the 3M infrared thermometer to test ACTUAL operating temp of chainsaw jugs in future after doing carb on my own saws. :D
Arkie
Forum Pro

Previous

Return to Technical Discussion Forum