• Advertisement

Infrared testing of 2 cycle temps?

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Re: Infrared testing of 2 cycle temps?

Postby bgsengine » Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:23 pm

38racing wrote:how does a pet 304 compare to pet 1000 . I see now from my supplier the 304 is 1/2 the price of the 1000 which I have been tempted to order.

PET-304 is smaller - credit card sized (but considerably thicker than one) and specialized towards 2-strokes only (fires every revolution) - You would only need a 4-stroke setting on engines that do not have wasted spark ignition (fires every other revolution - such as Kohler K series point ignition, certain twin cylinder engines, or others with ignition driven off the camshaft) But with the PET-304 you can get a good RPM reading even on those by simply doubling the RPM value you see..

Like the PET-1000 it has a 0.5 second refresh rate. Besides the price, the major difference with the PET-304 vs the PET-1000 is the PET-1000 can handle 4-cylinder engines (outboards, etc) So I'd only get a PET-1000 if we were doing work on anything other than your average single and V-Twin engines (which we don't)
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby Arkie » Tue Dec 15, 2015 8:04 am

38racing wrote:how does a pet 304 compare to pet 1000 . I see now from my supplier the 304 is 1/2 the price of the 1000 which I have been tempted to order.

and another question:
Is the battery replaceable and if not what is the expected life?
(reason I ask is I see some of these little digital units are sealed up and no easy access to the battery)
Arkie
Forum Pro

Postby bgsengine » Tue Dec 15, 2015 9:15 am

Arkie wrote:

and another question:
Is the battery replaceable and if not what is the expected life?
(reason I ask is I see some of these little digital units are sealed up and no easy access to the battery)

Pretty sure it is, but ours has over 500 hours use and going strong, haven't had to replace a battery yet. - back cover is fastened with small screws so I imagine battery can be replaced if it ever needs it.
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby JonCraig » Wed Dec 16, 2015 9:24 am

Here's a guy on another forum (hope it's okay to post a link to another forum… if not, please feel free to edit) with the same problem:
http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/stihl-028av-siezed-up-then-later-spins-ok.290338/

--JC
JonCraig
Forum Regular

Postby KE4AVB » Wed Dec 16, 2015 11:23 am

That's is Arkie's username on Arboristsite. Until he posted his link here I was thinking he was our Okie (Travis) here. It was kinda confusing to me.

Of course I go by "AVB" over there myself.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby Arkie » Wed Dec 16, 2015 11:32 am

JonCraig wrote:Here's a guy on another forum (hope it's okay to post a link to another forum… if not, please feel free to edit) with the same problem:
http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/stihl-028av-siezed-up-then-later-spins-ok.290338/

--JC

Good eye!

That's me trying to get some pro's to respond! Their site is not as user friendly as this site, the threads just keep getting further down on the list with time and don't go back to the top as they get replies and next thing you know you can't hardly even find your own thread unless you do some deep searching.Thought I mentioned such earlier in this thread.

I thought I mentioned this one also! (I'm thinking too much, smell wood burning)
2 cycle tachometer! pet-304
I reviewed the Echo pet-304 and ordered one from trukfixer1 on fleabay.
After reviewing the 304 it appears that the battery can be replaced and other good reviews such as fast refresh rate. Most of the others are a sealed unit, such as a $100 plus Stihl and see some bad reviews on some $18 China clones that look like the pet-304.
Don't like to throw stuff out bacause of a possible measley little bad battery!
Arkie
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Wed Dec 16, 2015 5:56 pm

I bought a so called sealed one on eBay and when I had trouble with it seller told me to open it to reseat battery. Just a crnn32 coin battery in it.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Wed Dec 16, 2015 6:04 pm

We eBay one says to wrap lead around plug wire which I hold with a clothes peg. I wonder if it would work if I attach lead to an alligator clip and clipped it to plug wire.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby bgsengine » Wed Dec 16, 2015 6:48 pm

38racing wrote:We eBay one says to wrap lead around plug wire which I hold with a clothes peg. I wonder if it would work if I attach lead to an alligator clip and clipped it to plug wire.
Depends on the clip and the wire. the PET-304 has it already assembled that way - just a big clip you clip on plug wire and works fine.. as long as the wire and the clip are metal and make good contact it should work.
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby Arkie » Wed Dec 16, 2015 7:47 pm

38racing wrote:We eBay one says to wrap lead around plug wire which I hold with a clothes peg. I wonder if it would work if I attach lead to an alligator clip and clipped it to plug wire.

You probably know this!
You do not want direct contact with the plug wire, ie the HV spark. Some alligator clips are strong enough to pierce the spark plug insulation or weaken it and possibly get a arc jump to the pickup lead and suspect this would immediately zap the unit. I know a zap would permanently damage one that belonged to me. Some people get a second chance, but not me. :(
I see some units that looks like 3 or 4 wraps of the insulated pickup lead around the plug wire. Think of it as a inductive pickup or antenna without direct contact similar to whats use3d on inductive pickup to trigger timing lights. The ones that have more than one wrap around the plug wire were shown or indicated permanent mount to equipment for both hour meter and rpm. :popcorn:
Arkie
Forum Pro

PreviousNext

Return to Technical Discussion Forum