• Advertisement

NGK plug for Tecumseh

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

NGK plug for Tecumseh

Postby belvedere » Sun Dec 27, 2015 11:51 pm

I have a Poulan Pro snow blower PR8527ES with a Snow King 8.5 flathead. The OEM plug is a Champion RJ19LM. This crosses to a NGK BR2LM, yet the NGK site lists a BR6ES for my application. Does anyone know the difference in these two NGK plugs, and which is correct for my engine? Thanks!
Some folks call it a sling blade...I call it a Kaiser blade.
belvedere

Advertisement

Re: NGK plug for Tecumseh

Postby KE4AVB » Mon Dec 28, 2015 7:55 am

BR6ES operates at a lower tip temperature. I would stick with the BR2LM (RJ19LM) unless your having pre-ignition problems as the BR6ES will foul easier. I look-up the owners manual for the Poulan and it specifies the Champion RJ19LM. Today's leaner burning engines may require a cooler running spark plug because of pre-ignition as tip temperature will be higher because of leaner mixture.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby bgsengine » Mon Dec 28, 2015 8:29 am

Umm AVB - Might be worthwhile to check specs on those plugs first .. the BR6ES is for the OHV Engines and has a much longer plug reach (3/4" or so) vs the 3/8 reach BR2LM..

@ belvedere - you need to check the ENGINE MODEL and determine if it is a newer OHV engine or an older L-Head engine, to make sure which is the correct plug. Never, ever trust the plug that came out of an engine to be the right one for it. :) - The machine model will tell you pretty much nothing because It could be a little older or a little newer, or it could be re-powered with a new engine, etc, etc. machine model could probably at best only tell you what engine was *originally equipped* - assuming the serial number puts it in the right year of production..
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby KE4AVB » Mon Dec 28, 2015 8:42 am

BGS, Tnx for catching that reach somehow I overlooked that this morning when I was looking up the specs that why we got to watch out for each other; so much mis-information out there. Surely don't want OP to install the wrong reach plug. OP did say it is a flat head which I assume is the same thing as the L-heads.

I had a supplier that sent me a 52mm piston last week instead of the 42mm I ordered due to typo on their end when crossed over to the AM version. I just didn't have a big enough hammer to install it. :lol:
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby belvedere » Mon Dec 28, 2015 11:00 pm

KE4AVB wrote: OP did say it is a flat head which I assume is the same thing as the L-heads.

Correct! I like to work on old cars as a hobby, and we typically call the valve-in-block engines "flat heads", but I guess "L- head" is the term to use with small engines. Thanks for the info.

bgsengine wrote: Never, ever trust the plug that came out of an engine to be the right one for it.

I agree, but in this case, I'm the original owner. It came new with a RJ19LM, and that's what I've used as replacements. They work fine, but I really like NGK plugs, and would like to try one in this engine.

The NGK site lists the incorrect plug for this application, which is what I suspected based on the cross from the Champion number. Thanks for your help with this, guys!
Some folks call it a sling blade...I call it a Kaiser blade.
belvedere

Return to Technical Discussion Forum