• Advertisement

honda ohc

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

honda ohc

Postby thomd51 » Sun Jan 17, 2016 1:11 pm

got a logsplitter with a honda gcv160. guy overspeeded engine by pushing on gov. lever threw the timing belt off. need to know timing marks, on flywheel and cam ? or tdc on the ex stroke? please help! TOM.
thomd51
Forum Regular

Advertisement

Re: honda ohc

Postby NO0C » Sun Jan 17, 2016 2:23 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_j2t8iiDgCw

Procedure starts at 2:45.

E-mail me: no0c@charter.net and I'll send you a .pdf that shows it plainly.

Timing marks are crankshaft keyway and camshaft markings. Timed at TDC. Stroking takes care of itself with the 2:1 camshaft to crankshaft sprocket teeth ratio.

Good luck.
NO0C
Forum Pro

Postby NO0C » Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:10 pm

Sometimes do you ever wonder why you offer advice?
NO0C
Forum Pro

Postby HondaG100 » Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:23 am

Yeah especially when I tell people that just keeping the oil level up and changing it regularly is the best thing they can do for an engine and I get a blank stare that says they did not learn that one from Dad.
HondaG100
Guide

Postby KE4AVB » Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:47 am

If the lack of follow-ups it quite common and it something I had to get use to here. Once the problem is resolved most OP never close out the thread.

And there are times that it might several weeks things get work on again. Currently here I basically been shut down due below freezing temps the last couple weeks and I am expecting freezing rain later today.

Mentioning oil checking habits I had group at a nursery customer to burn up 3 engines last year due to no oil and one of them was an engine that just rebuilt which took over 6 months for find NOS parts for. They was operating 8+ hours a day in 100F+ temps and it simple use that much oil in a little over a month due oil breakdown.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby thomd51 » Sat Jan 23, 2016 10:50 am

NO0C had to order a new valve cover for that honda ohc. new cover has a belt guide inside to prevent the belt from coming

off again. thanks for the info, that video dealt with a broken belt but it also explained how to put it back on and mentioned the new

and improved cover. thanks again TOM
thomd51
Forum Regular

Postby NO0C » Sat Jan 23, 2016 11:39 am

Glad you got it going.

I doubt if you did, but you could have ordered the cast cover and gasket for these engines which makes it a lot easier to R&R cover when setting valve clearances. No screwing around with that messy sealant.

See this thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1438&p=10568&hilit=cam+cover#p10474

Best money I ever spent.

NO0C
Forum Pro

Return to Technical Discussion Forum