• Advertisement

Cleaning tank

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Re: Cleaning tank

Postby bgsengine » Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:36 pm

andybcumming112 wrote:. Do y'all have many problems when you don't clean the entire fuel system including tank. .
Last 5 years, only one comeback and that was because I was a bonehead and rushed the job - I did not replace the fuel lines from tank to engine because they *looked good* from visual inspection and it was gonna be a pain in the butt to replace that particular fuel line.. Came back a few weeks later acting like it ran out of gas ... finally pulled tank and removed fuel line, found line plugged full of old leaves and debris.. if I had followed what is *now* a hard and fast policy and replaced all fuel lines, it would have been zero comebacks in 5 years for fuel problems related to lines or tanks...

So, I will suggest a simple tank inspection , making sure you dont have debris in tank, replace all fuel lines from tank to carb, put in a fuel filter, and you won't have comebacks for fuel problems. replacing lines takes just as long as flushing them (and in some cases faster) and you don't need to flush the tank , and you're gonna replace fuel filter anyhow..
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby Arkie » Fri Jan 22, 2016 8:14 am

bgsengine wrote:
andybcumming112 wrote:. Do y'all have many problems when you don't clean the entire fuel system including tank. .
Last 5 years, only one comeback and that was because I was a bonehead and rushed the job - I did not replace the fuel lines from tank to engine because they *looked good* from visual inspection and it was gonna be a pain in the butt to replace that particular fuel line.. Came back a few weeks later acting like it ran out of gas ... finally pulled tank and removed fuel line, found line plugged full of old leaves and debris.. if I had followed what is *now* a hard and fast policy and replaced all fuel lines, it would have been zero comebacks in 5 years for fuel problems related to lines or tanks...

So, I will suggest a simple tank inspection , making sure you dont have debris in tank, replace all fuel lines from tank to carb, put in a fuel filter, and you won't have comebacks for fuel problems. replacing lines takes just as long as flushing them (and in some cases faster) and you don't need to flush the tank , and you're gonna replace fuel filter anyhow..

You will be the boss of small engines: bsengine has good advice.
I closely inspect the tanks for debris or rust and very seldom have to clean or remove a tank. If fuel related issues I almost always inspect tank while it's still on the eq replace fuel lines and filter and I always replace the fuel lines and filter if the carb is being rebuilt or replaced.. (just replacing the filter don't always solve problem permanently because the line between the filter and the carb is going bad. If you replace the lines and filter and the eq comes back with fuel related running issues you know then that most likely it's the carb area or the carb that you re-built still has issues. Cleaning and rebuilding (kitting) old corroded carbs will cause more return issues than dirty fuel tanks. Very small foreign pieces have a tendency to eventually break loose in old kitted carbs and it will be your fault and the customer is not happy when returning for the same issues again.
I've started using tygon fuel lines for 2 cycle eq, but have noticed that China is now flooding the market with bulk GENERIC tygon :(
Arkie
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:33 am

andybcumming112 wrote:Bad thing is at our ship customer only gets charged 45 minutes when clean carb and rebuild. Plus clean tank and line. 60.00 hour labor charges. But it takes longer than 45 minutes his way. Reason I was asking is he leaving shop for me to run. He is tired of small engines after 40 years. I am just trying to find ways to speed up as it is only me working at shop. Right now is not bad we are slow. But when spring comes I don't have time to clean every tank. Do y'all have many problems when you don't clean the entire fuel system including tank. All our gas has seafoam in fuel. Just trying to vent as this is way I was taught.

Sounds like he was going by the Briggs time analysis used for warranty repairs. The problem using it for all repairs is that there will be additional problems to resolve on older engines. Things like fuel lines having to be replaced due age and environment related failures, rusted or corroded bolts, etc. A good inspection should cover most things. Yes you will problems that take longer and there will be times it take less. The guideline that Briggs published is just a guide based on average reported repair times for a particular repair job.

Here is example of time that one piece of equipment required a lot of extra time recently. A toy motorize ATV was brought in with carburetor problems, a very expensive little carburetor the btw. It took several hours to R and R it including the cleaning time. It actually spent over 2 hour in the ultrasonic cleaner that I had at the time. It was that badly clogged. Most times a carburetor take less than 1/2 in it to clean. The actual removal and replacement only took 1/2 hour so I did charge considerable less than the actual 3+ hours I spent on it but still charged for 1-1/2 hours labor and customer still came out better by not having to pay for a $250 carburetor.

When busy and your doubting the fuel line condition, it best to replace it in order to better manage your shop time. When running an one person shop there is a lot more to do that is not actual repair time. Here I use a minimum 1 hour fee for all work except very simple things like a starter rope replacement. A good shared of my time is in the procurement of parts and shop related paperwork. Having a good shop computer program helps a lot especially for record keeping. I still use paper back-up files but most of the info are available via my shop computer as long as I keep it up to date. The paper files are for the tax people to go through if they wish.

One thing that helps prevent returns here is on the smaller engines with fuel tanks is to install at least one of those pancake filters on those don't a have filter in the fuel line and don't forget put clamps on the lines. Customers here is always getting trash in their fuel tanks from poorly maintain fuel containers.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby Arkie » Sat Jan 23, 2016 6:52 am

I've also started installing inline fuel shutoff's on equipment that relies on just the carb needle and seat to prevent fuel leaks externally or into the crankcase. Cheap insurance for reducing chance of fuel leaking thru carb and into crankcase or fire hazard during storage.. If users of equipment fail to use the fuel cut0ff and ruin their engine or worse, they seem to remember better the next time. :idea:
Arkie
Forum Pro

Previous

Return to Technical Discussion Forum