• Advertisement

Cleaning tank

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Re: Cleaning tank

Postby bobodu » Thu Jan 21, 2016 6:08 am

Acid. But I have a tendency to work on really old equipment these days that you just don't buy a $20 tank for.
"Give me a fast ship, for I intend to go into harm's way."
bobodu
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Arkie » Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:38 am

My boss has me clean with castrol superclean.

Bottom line:
If you need that job and want to work at that place, I would suggest you do as you are told by your BOSS and keep your mouth shut. (unless he tells you to go stick your head in a fire, then you might ask why for and then go look for another job) ;)
Arkie
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:52 am

Arkie wrote:My boss has me clean with castrol superclean.

Bottom line:
If you need that job and want to work at that place, I would suggest you do as you are told by your BOSS and keep your mouth shut. (unless he tells you to go stick your head in a fire, then you might ask why for and then go look for another job) ;)

You know I thought of that too late last night. Sometimes we don't have much options when we work other employers.

I had one boss that I tried to explained to that what he wanted to do to a $2000 programmable calculator was going to destroy the main control broad. He looked at me and said "Do it the way I told you to do it or you're fired". So I did and it when up in a big puff of smoke. Afterwards he said "Didn't you know better?" to which I answered "Yes but you insisted on doing it your way even after I warned you." You know he didn't try that again.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby bgsengine » Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:57 am

Bottom line:

On the other hand, maybe he is looking for a consensus from industry professionals - many of us whom may have been working on engines since the boss was in diapers... get enough pros agreeing one something may be enough to convince the guy to change his ways.. :)
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby Arkie » Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:06 am

KE4AVB wrote:

Bottom line:

You know I thought of that too late last night. Sometimes we don't have much options when we work other employers.

I had one boss that I tried to explained to that what he wanted to do to a $2000 programmable calculator was going to destroy the main control broad. He looked at me and said "Do it the way I told you to do it or you're fired". So I did and it when up in a big puff of smoke. Afterwards he said "Didn't you know better?" to which I answered "Yes but you insisted on doing it your way even after I warned you." You know he didn't try that again.

Yep, been their myself about following orders. If you don't agree with the BOSS do it respectfully and don't forget to add at the very last when speaking,
Yes sir, yes mam, or if it's the wife, give it a big loud, YES DEAR, but stay out of striking distance of the wife if it's THE obnoxious yes dear. ;)
The wife don't care if you are a pro when she gives a order! :bricks:
Arkie
Forum Pro

Postby Luffydog » Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:11 pm

bottom line is it pays you the same no matter.
Luffydog
Forum Pro

Postby bgsengine » Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:52 pm

Luffydog wrote:bottom line is it pays you the same no matter.

Not really - if it takes you 2 hours to bill an hour of labor you are losing money (so is the shop) if you can cut that time down to 45 minutes to do a job and bill an hour, you're making money (so is the shop) - if he was getting paid hours worked (punching a clock) rather than a % of labor billed, then yes he'd be paid the same in any case.
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby Luffydog » Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:40 pm

yes i was referring to hourly rate. then if not i totally agree the shop still looses either way
Luffydog
Forum Pro

Postby andybcumming112 » Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:52 pm

Bad thing is at our ship customer only gets charged 45 minutes when clean carb and rebuild. Plus clean tank and line. 60.00 hour labor charges. But it takes longer than 45 minutes his way. Reason I was asking is he leaving shop for me to run. He is tired of small engines after 40 years. I am just trying to find ways to speed up as it is only me working at shop. Right now is not bad we are slow. But when spring comes I don't have time to clean every tank. Do y'all have many problems when you don't clean the entire fuel system including tank. All our gas has seafoam in fuel. Just trying to vent as this is way I was taught.
andybcumming112

Postby Luffydog » Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:46 pm

dont have alot of come backs for that really it the other stuff related to fuel that makes them come back or other issues not related to the first. if tank has bad gas i drain first until it clears or all depends if they put fresh in on top of old gas and you can tell by color smell and feel. after drained out i check the lines if they are old looking cracking ect. i replaced if look ok i run fresh gas thur them to flush out then replace filter hook up to carb then add seafoam start it up let it run ahwile i shoot for 30 min. then let it sit out and relax a bit maybe an hr or so then fire it up and see how it runs then i replace the plugs. all machines always that come in for just about anything always gets new plugs. then after i run them a bit more after the plugs are changed out after cooling i looking to see how the cyclinders are burning by pulling out the plugs and if happy then its goodbye time. generally you can service.... change oil,oil filter,clean or replace air filter,plugs,check tires,belts,pullies,fuel filter,and sharpen blades in about an hour sometimes maybe longer or less in some cases. good luck in your new businesss hope this helps and hope to see ya around!!!!!!!!!!
Luffydog
Forum Pro

PreviousNext

Return to Technical Discussion Forum