• Advertisement

Craftsman single stage snow blower problem

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Craftsman single stage snow blower problem

Postby lefty » Sun Jan 24, 2016 3:19 pm

Hi,

My brother-in-law dropped this machine off to me because it wasn't running right. It was running fine then all of the sudden, it wouldn't rev up to speed.

It's a single stage, 2 stroke snow blower, Craftsman 536.885213 with a Tecumseh Carb, per manual the carb is 640088.

I cleaned the carb and tried a different plug. I don't know how to really describe the problem because I've never heard the machine run before this but I'm told it should scream when it's running right. I uploaded a short video of it running to my youtube page. https://youtu.be/DAv__NcvNwU Not sure how to paste a link so copy and past.

In the video, it's running choke open. I engage the auger and then disengage. I then close the choke and open it again so you can hear the difference.

Thanks to anyone who gives it a listen.

Lefty
lefty
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: Craftsman single stage snow blower problem

Postby NO0C » Sun Jan 24, 2016 5:34 pm

I'm not sure what you mean by scream, but the rated rpm of the engine is 3700-4000. It won't run at the pace of a chain saw, weed wacker or blower.

Of course I can't tell how fast it's running but to me it sounds like any 2-cycle snow thrower and sounds like it's running fine to me and the choke is indeed working.

Do you have a tachometer?

If possible, do your snow dance so you can put it under load and see how it runs. My experience is they run a lot smoother under load.
NO0C
Forum Pro

Postby lefty » Sun Jan 24, 2016 8:21 pm

Thank you for listening to the video NO0C.
Unfortunately, or fortunately...depending on how you look at it, we don't have enough snow right now to put it through its paces. I don't have a tach but coincidentally enough, I've been thinking that I need one in my tool box. Do you or anyone have a recommendation? I'm more of a hobbyist than technician.

Thanks
Lefty
lefty
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:00 pm

Many of us use the Tiny Tach. There are cheaper versions out there but for me this Tiny Tach has proven to be a reliable unit.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby NO0C » Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:03 pm

After seeing the right coast this weekend, if you don't live there, you're fortunate.

Like you, I basically use it on my own stuff and sometimes a neighbor's, so I bought a DT2234C+ and it seems to work really well as long as you can find a place to put a piece of reflective tape on a rotating piece. I've even used it on a '51 Dodge to prove to a friend that there was very little slippage in his hydraulic coupled transmission.

They aren't very expensive and might even find one for less than this:

http://www.amazon.com/Durable-DT-2234C- ... B007KGZIQI

I see AVB has posted a solution as well that uses an inductive pickup. Ball is in your court.

Edit: I forgot, my SIL gave me this for Xmas, but of course nothing to try it out on this time of year in Husker Nation.

http://www.amazon.com/Hardline-Products ... B000FOOAXY

Good luck.
NO0C
Forum Pro

Postby Mek-a-nik » Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:01 am

Sounds good to me, too. They do smooth right out under a load.
One way to load a snow blower is to put it up against a truck tire, a wooden work bench leg, etc. You don't want to do it for long, and you have to be very careful about damaging the paddles.
Don't run it too long without the shrouding on it. It will over heat.
Or, you could do what Bobodo might suggest and test it by throwing cow dung around. :)
"The internal combustion orchestra; sweet music."
Mek-a-nik
Forum Pro

Postby bgsengine » Mon Jan 25, 2016 8:20 am

Mek-a-nik wrote:Sounds good to me, too. They do smooth right out under a load.
One way to load a snow blower is to put it up against a truck tire, a wooden work bench leg, etc. You don't want to do it for long, and you have to be very careful about damaging the paddles.

Umm you know most are designed to be self-pulling right? so you just lift up on the handle while it sits on a concrete floor and paddles (unless they are worn out and need replacement) will engage the floor and give you your load.
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby lefty » Mon Jan 25, 2016 12:30 pm

Thanks guys. I'll check those out.
lefty
Forum Pro

Postby Mek-a-nik » Mon Jan 25, 2016 12:43 pm

bgsengine wrote:

Umm you know most are designed to be self-pulling right? so you just lift up on the handle while it sits on a concrete floor and paddles (unless they are worn out and need replacement) will engage the floor and give you your load.

Never thought to try it. I would think that just the weight of the machine isn't enough to load it. :geek: I know for sure you have to be careful how hard you load it against a workbench. :shock:
"The internal combustion orchestra; sweet music."
Mek-a-nik
Forum Pro

Postby bgsengine » Mon Jan 25, 2016 1:14 pm

Mek-a-nik wrote:
bgsengine wrote:

Never thought to try it. I would think that just the weight of the machine isn't enough to load it. :geek: I know for sure you have to be careful how hard you load it against a workbench. :shock:

Yup - They are that way to sort of be self-propelled assist in pushing them along - we load them up pretty good if you have a smooth floor and pick up on handle high enough the whole weight is resting on the paddles - plenty of load there :) Although that DOES tend to leave you some black skid marks on your concrete floor so don't do that if you're fussy about your shop floor staying clean and white:)
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Next

Return to Technical Discussion Forum