• Advertisement

Briggs regulator 790292

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Briggs regulator 790292

Postby TracMac » Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:50 pm

I Need information reguarding this type of regulator. No info about this regulator is in current service manuals. But is only on
alternator chart & alternator specifications MS-0415.

The connections on the regulator itself consists of (2 white connectors) 1 red & black / 1 yellow & black.
I'm going to assume the red & black attaches to the (alternator 592831) side connector with the diode? The yellow & black
side connects into the machine its on. Does this regulator require a ground? since its mounted to plastic oil fill & dipstick. I just want
to be sure before I even connect it up to the machine. Or if its really even needed? the purpose is to keep the battery charged on the
machine.

I have a Briggs engine model 219082-0117-E1 that's on husky log splitter. This Engine currently has been adapted to
accept the electric start & alternator. The alternator used on this machine is part no# 592831, Flywheel 698282 Voltage Regulator 790292
that came with it. The Briggs model closest to mine 21B902-0015-E1 uses this regulator and above parts mentioned. I am In the
process of making final electrical connections for the log splitter. Any info would be appreciated
TracMac

Advertisement

Re: Briggs regulator 790292

Postby bgsengine » Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:16 pm

TracMac wrote:The connections on the regulator itself consists of (2 white connectors) 1 red & black / 1 yellow & black.
I'm going to assume the red & black attaches to the (alternator 592831) side connector with the diode? The yellow & black
side connects into the machine its on. Does this regulator require a ground? since its mounted to plastic oil fill & dipstick. I just want
to be sure before I even connect it up to the machine. Or if its really even needed? the purpose is to keep the battery charged on the
machine.

I think you got that backwards - Yellow wire with Green connector is AC Input from the stator Red Wire with red connector is DC Output

*EDIT*

I see - you are talking about the 2 connectors - 2 white connectors , one with red & black one with yellow & black - One of them plugs into the connector of the alternator (if you have one compatible with that regulator) and the other goes to equipment harness - the black wire is a direct 5 Amps of AC voltage (for headlights and the like) the red wire should be 12V output for battery charging - Yellow wire should connect to alternator side, I believe - depends on which of the 2 connectors correctly socket with your alternator connector.
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby KE4AVB » Wed Jan 27, 2016 5:39 pm

And if my thinking is correct you will need ground the regulator metal case to engine ground and not the plastic.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby bgsengine » Wed Jan 27, 2016 5:41 pm

Correct - forgot to mention that - Some machines with regulator mounted to a plastic spacer have a ground strap connecting the center bolt to a ground location on the engine. - I have seen some that are grounded by way of clamping the bracket to the starter housing (Lots of bad grounds there) and have seen some that were "worked on" by others where the ground strap was bolted back on itself (hahaha!)
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby TracMac » Thu Jan 28, 2016 2:54 am

Thanks Bsengine

Now I will Need a suitable engine ground, So true about others grounding
methods for this same part, can be questionable. Seen this same regulator
in a topic @ (mytractorforum) MTF.com. Not to make this anymore technical
then it needs to Be, there is a difference between rectification & regulation
by term used. its Ohm's law.
TracMac

Postby TracMac » Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:11 pm

Just to let know that the regulator connections did go as accordingly when you answered my ? 1) Yellow & black to alternator 2) Red & Black
to log splitter connector. Briggs had a good idea by offering the BS19615 Repower Terminal Kit, saved again, since BS398661
connector kit was out stock. Tested unit for correct voltage and Amps, works like it should. The electric start will make starting this
machine in the cold a lot easier, despite the expense of the investment.
TracMac

Postby KE4AVB » Fri Feb 05, 2016 3:54 am

Thanks for letting us know it is resolved and what the solution was. I make a note in my manual here about the connections.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Return to Technical Discussion Forum