• Advertisement

Nova II chip to replace points/condenser reliability, etc?

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Nova II chip to replace points/condenser reliability, etc?

Postby Arkie » Thu Jan 28, 2016 5:08 pm

I have a 1-53 McCulloch chainsaw that has points/condenser under the flywheel and when points are set to spec of .018 they don't make good contact when closed. Appears as though the cam point lobe on the crank is worn down.
I can set them to .014 and get a run but it don't start and accelerate good.

Wondering if the Nova II electronic chip might make it go? Here is the ebay number for viewing
Anyone had any experience with using the nova II chip on chainsaws as a points/condenser replacement?
Arkie
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: Nova II chip to replace points/condenser reliability, et

Postby bgsengine » Thu Jan 28, 2016 5:29 pm

None recently - many moons ago,I used to get a Nova module for some point ignition saws (When they were color coded and 4-5 modules depending on application - they were actually called Atom back then) and they worked well - timing is fixed based on the trigger signal from the flywheel passing the coil but I have no experience with the current ones on saws - they do work on the 4-cycles I have put them on and the ones I currently see from Oregon they have a polarity where you can switch the wires around to get the spark in the right place depending on polarity of the ignition system.. but no first hand experience putting them in saws
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby Arkie » Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:36 pm

Guess I'll just buy one and give it a test run. Since it installs outside the flywheel guess I'll just get one and give it a test shot, more user friendly than pulling a flywheel and fooling around with adjusting points, especially with a worn point cam lobe.

I tried a post over at the arboristsite chain saw experts inquiring about using electronic chips on a old McCulloch to replace the points but no one chimed in, not even any snide remarks. :o :oops:
One guy did say to convert a Stihl 028 to electronic replace the coil with a 029 electronic coil. guess the chip is built into the 029 electronic coil similar to Briggs twins magnetos.

Really surprised that no one chimed in over at arboristsite about testing on chainsaws!!!!! :o

The sellers say they are for use with 2 cycles and chainsaws, but lots of snake oil salesman out their now days. :bricks:
Arkie
Forum Pro

Postby JonCraig » Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:20 pm

Arkie wrote:Guess I'll just buy one and give it a test run. Since it installs outside the flywheel guess I'll just get one and give it a test shot, more user friendly than pulling a flywheel and fooling around with adjusting points, especially with a worn point cam lobe.

There's a guy on YouTube, "thechainsawguy" who uses them a lot. He likes 'em, and (for all I know) is a legit guy. Runs a saw repair shop in Myrtle Creek, OR.

Arkie wrote:I tried a post over at the arboristsite chain saw experts inquiring about using electronic chips on a old McCulloch to replace the points but no one chimed in, not even any snide remarks. :o :oops:

Did you try bumping it? Sometimes guys over there get to talking about their ported Husq's so much that a thread only stays on the front page for 15 minutes, and once it's on page two, it's dead forever. :bricks:
JonCraig
Forum Regular

Postby Arkie » Fri Jan 29, 2016 7:16 am

JonCraig wrote:
Arkie wrote:Guess I'll just buy one and give it a test run. Since it installs outside the flywheel guess I'll just get one and give it a test shot, more user friendly than pulling a flywheel and fooling around with adjusting points, especially with a worn point cam lobe.

There's a guy on YouTube, "thechainsawguy" who uses them a lot. He likes 'em, and (for all I know) is a legit guy. Runs a saw repair shop in Myrtle Creek, OR.

Arkie wrote:I tried a post over at the arboristsite chain saw experts inquiring about using electronic chips on a old McCulloch to replace the points but no one chimed in, not even any snide remarks. :o :oops:

Did you try bumping it? Sometimes guys over there get to talking about their ported Husq's so much that a thread only stays on the front page for 15 minutes, and once it's on page two, it's dead forever. :bricks:

After your hint about chainsaw guy I did some more searching and I seen a guy, Lee Smith from lilredbarn.com installing the Nova II two terminal chip on a old McCulloch with good results. (the ignition polarity can be swapped on the two terminal chip if desired, the single terminal chip polarity cannot be changed)
and Yes, had to bump my post to keep it off of page 2.

Thanks for the hints! ;)

And yes if a post gets on page 2 which it can do really fast the post gets cold fast and it might as well be in the trash can. I sometimes have to do a search to find my own post if it's over 1 day old if I don't hang onto to a link for the post. Good saw site but just not real user friendly sometimes.

Thanks
Arkie
Forum Pro

Postby Mek-a-nik » Fri Jan 29, 2016 7:20 am

Arkie wrote:The sellers say they are for use with 2 cycles and chainsaws, but lots of snake oil salesman out their now days. :bricks:

Must suck to be a real snake oil salesman. Quite a reputation to fight!
Good luck with the saw. You'll git it.
"The internal combustion orchestra; sweet music."
Mek-a-nik
Forum Pro

Postby wristpin » Sat Jan 30, 2016 6:25 pm

The Nova is not readily available in the UK but I have used the similar Meco unit on both two and four stroke motors with success other that one old Kohler that seemed to have a timing incompatibility and nearly snatch my wrist off - but that was a long time ago.
It's interesting that, as has been mentioned, while both the Nova and Meco units are billed as being "universal" the old Australian Atom units came colour coded for two and four stroke applications and some were for individual makes of motor. Perhaps electronics have progressed since then!
wristpin
Forum Pro

Postby Arkie » Tue Feb 02, 2016 6:48 am

Yesterday I installed a two terminal Nova II electronic chip into a McCulloch 1-53 so as to replace the points and condenser and the saw started on second pull and ran great. I used negative ground. Took about 15 minutes to install and the chip cost total of $12.50 from flea bay.
Their are two Nova II chips one is single terminal and is fixed negative ground.

Seen that if 2 cycle engine does not run correctly using the chip, swap the polarity. (also stated in their instructions.

I keep my fingers crossed and suspect when testing electronic ignition systems that are non OEM manufacture. :usa:
Arkie
Forum Pro

Postby Arkie » Sat Feb 06, 2016 7:09 am

Arkie wrote:Yesterday I installed a two terminal Nova II electronic chip into a McCulloch 1-53 so as to replace the points and condenser and the saw started on second pull and ran great. I used negative ground. Took about 15 minutes to install and the chip cost total of $12.50 from flea bay.
Their are two Nova II chips one is single terminal and is fixed negative ground.

Seen that if 2 cycle engine does not run correctly using the chip, swap the polarity. (also stated in their instructions.

I keep my fingers crossed and suspect when testing electronic ignition systems that are non OEM manufacture. :usa:

Tested the electronic chips in a saw with Negative results.

GOT A TEST OF THE ELECTRONIC CHIP (CHIPS)
They were listed on ebay for $24.99 for two. When they came the box indicated part number 31-8786, made in TAIWAN.
I installed first chip with neg ground into a McCulloch 1-53 and it lasted total run time of about 4 minutes or less. Started real good on 2nd pull accelerated good, I killed engine after it warmed and it readily started first pull. I set the saw outside on ground idling real good and smooth and was acting real good. I was in shop cleaning hands and saw died all at once. I cranked few times and no go. I checked the ignition fire and none. Disconnected the chip's wire from the mag, installed the new points wire to the mag and she started first pull.

I installed the 2nd chip (labeled NOVAII on the heat sink case) and when I attempted to start it would almost rip my wrist off and when pulled thru on the compression stroke smoke would come out the exhaust (indicating out of time)
I swapped the polarity from neg ground to pos ground and pulled thru little bit easier and the engine started and was idling faster than the points system and the other failed chip, idling fast enough that chain was rotating fast. I killed the saw and pulled it to compression stroke and when pulled thru it had hard kick back of pull rope but eventually started and revved up good. The timing had changed on the saw when using this 2nd chip and wanted pos ground instead of neg. I removed the chip and went back to the points ign system.

I was going to run a electronic chip to replace points and condenser because the points cam rubbing block was worn down on the saw to where the points would not close good at the spec of .018. I got a new set of points and was able to get good test run and points closure by setting them to .016 instead of .018. The points were erratic closing at .018 and would not close at all at .020.
I got good running operation at .015-.016 and had to call this good.

Summary of my test of these electronic chips: $24.99 out the door and no reliability and got different results from two same part number TAIWAN CHIPS.
I'm staying with old school points and condenser for use on MY old style points chainsaws.

Here is a link to arborist site thread I posted trying to get experience info about subbing electronic chips into saws to replace points and condenser. This link is page 2 of the thread.
http://www.arboristsite.com/community/t ... st-5749822
Arkie
Forum Pro

Return to Technical Discussion Forum