• Advertisement

Tecumseh H70 vs HM70

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Tecumseh H70 vs HM70

Postby Craftsman GT » Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:53 pm

I'm wondering what the difference between an H70 and HM70 is? I'm working on repowering my neighbors snowblower for him, it's a late 60s MTD Snow flite with a Tecumseh/Lauson H70 that is plain wore out and the shroud has rusted thru in a few places. I have a strong running Tecumseh HM70 I was going to put on it. Any major differences between that and the H70? So fsr I've noticed the governor setup is a bit different and the intake and exhaust are switched around between them. Thanks
Craftsman GT

Advertisement

Re: Tecumseh H70 vs HM70

Postby bgsengine » Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:08 pm

the "M" in HM70 refers to "Medium Frame" tecumseh engine - as you noted there are some external differences, and I believe the valves and internal parts are different - main thing it refers to would be the fact of the cylinder liner (Cast Iron liner) - the HH70 will be a "heavy frame" engine and the block is all cast iron as long as the engine bolts in , crank dimensions are correct, etc it should not matter if you are replacing the whole engine.
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Re: Tecumseh H70 vs HM70

Postby Craftsman GT » Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:45 pm

Thanks BGS. I got the engines swapped and the blower is back in service. From what I was able find some H series have aluminum bores and some have iron sleeves, it gets confusing. I have always wondered why some Tecumseh's have the intake and exhaust switched around?
Craftsman GT

Return to Technical Discussion Forum