• Advertisement

Carburetor Help Please

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Re: Carburetor Help Please

Postby Dale_W » Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:56 am

Good Morning,
This thread was close to what I needed. It questions the coil spring on the float pin.

My question: How on earth do you get that bugger put back together?

I have a Toro Powerlite that would not start on fresh gas/oil mix. The carb went two trips thru the ultrasonic cleaner.
After 20 minutes of trying to re-assemble (I had taken a picture so I could put that coil spring back correctly) I gave up.

The little Toro did start and run, but seems to die every now and again (fuel related) for no reason I can see.

I will put the carb through a few more UC cycles, and attempt to get the spring back in place.

Thoughts on how to re-assemble?

Thanks

Dale
Dale_W
Guide

Postby bgsengine » Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:17 am

float on and in place (gasket off) ,start the hinge pin just enough so it sticks through float hinge and then work on the spring, and between working on the spring and pushing the hinge pin through further, you end up with the spring in place . takes a little practice, but after doing it a few times, seems easy.

*edit* to add - By the way that float hinge spring is merely to offer additional tension to help the float resist bouncing open allowing carb to flood out. It can be run without the spring, but heavy vibration or vertical bouncing of the engine can lead to excess fueling events. They are also common on some rototiller and other utility applications (logsplitters, etc)
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby Dale_W » Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:57 am

Thanks BG,

Once the spring in on the pin, does it need to spun a time or two for more tension, or is just getting it in place good enough?

Dale
Dale_W
Guide

Postby NO0C » Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:20 pm

No need to spin/load the spring Dale as I remember.
NO0C
Forum Pro

Postby bgsengine » Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:48 pm

Dale_W wrote:Thanks BG,

Once the spring in on the pin, does it need to spun a time or two for more tension, or is just getting it in place good enough?

Dale

Nope, if installed the right way (assuming you noted how it was installed before removing it) it'll already be under just enough tension to do its job.
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby Dale_W » Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:34 pm

Thank you all.

Yes, I did snap a picture before disassembly. After a few more cycles thru the ultrasonic cleaner, I ran a tag wire thru where ever I could.
There was still some nasty dark (soft now) crud that came out.

I sat myself down at the kitchen table, and after a few fat-fingered tries I got the spring back in place. Then out to the garage to put the assembled carb back on that little Toro.

Holy Smokes, does that thing run nice now.

Thank you all for the guidance.

Still thinking about buying an ultrasonic cleaner? Buy one. Probably want to buy a bigger one than I did, but I am very happy with it.

Cheers, Dale
Dale_W
Guide

Previous

Return to Technical Discussion Forum