• Advertisement

Carburetor Help Please

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Carburetor Help Please

Postby NO0C » Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:24 pm

Hello everyone and thanks in advance for your answers and comments.

Toro CCR2000 Snowthrower Model 38185 S/N 4904436 Engine 47PP3-5.

I’m not sure who the engine manufacturer is either, but I do know that any parts you need are priced higher than a cat’s back. Toro engine?

My dilemma: I’m not certain of the orientation and purpose of the torsion spring (ref #18) within the carburetor. I understand that each end goes around the float hinge pin, but not sure of the placement of the long leg end of the spring and its function.

Any help from the learned pros here?

Thank again.

NO0C
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: Carburetor Help Please

Postby bgsengine » Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:15 pm

NO0C wrote:Hello everyone and thanks in advance for your answers and comments.

Toro CCR2000 Snowthrower Model 38185 S/N 4904436 Engine 47PP3-5.

I’m not sure who the engine manufacturer is either, but I do know that any parts you need are priced higher than a cat’s back. Toro engine?

My dilemma: I’m not certain of the orientation and purpose of the torsion spring (ref #18) within the carburetor. I understand that each end goes around the float hinge pin, but not sure of the placement of the long leg end of the spring and its function.

Any help from the learned pros here?

Thank again.

Not sure either as for orientation - I can try and take a look at one from the scrap heap (if I can find the right one) we just replace them However the *purpose* of the spring is to aid the float in remaining closed (vibration control, stabilization) during transport and when machine is running - helps prevent flooding the carb when the machine is having a rough time so orientation would be expected to have it so that it is trying to close the float.
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby NO0C » Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:41 pm

That was really quick. Thanks so much bgsengine.

No wonder it's sitting out on the deck with the handle perpendicular to the decking to stop the seep from the carburetor. I put the sucker in putting the pressure on the float the wrong way. Dumb me. I must have had a senile moment. Don't ever get old if you can avoid it.

I'll get that thing turned around tomorrow if temperature permits. Then I'll continue trying to figure out why it has an occasional hard starting issues. Have installed new fuel lines and filter, cleaned carb that had zero debris in it. ON/OFF switch tests good. New plug. Good spark. No snow in the forecast and the 18" we had a week ago is half gone, so no hurry. Runs great with plenty of governed power when it starts. That would explain the hard starting issue now if the carb is too full.

Was that perhaps a Suzuki or Subaru engine?

A new carb is ~$100, way more than a 22 year old single stage is worth, although it's nearly perfect.

Thanks again. I'll report back.
NO0C
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Thu Feb 11, 2016 3:23 am

NO0C wrote:Was that perhaps a Suzuki or Subaru engine?

From the mytractor forum.
"47P" is Suzuki's designation for their 2 cycle engine that Toro contracted them for use on Toro mowers. When anyone mentions the old Toro "Suzuki 2 stroke", this is the engine they're referring to. It was installed on many Toro consumer grade and commercial series mowers. It was built for 20 years - 1983-2003.

I also found this tib bit about the ignition coil.
http://forums2.gardenweb.com/discussions/1503390/toro-suzuki-47p-engine-ignition-module-fix
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby NO0C » Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:31 am

Thank you KE4AVB !

I have the manual for the vertical shaft engines from the Toro site, but not much in it about the horizontal engines and the carburetor with the torsion spring and bgsengine has me going in the right direction.

Thanks.
NO0C
Forum Pro

Postby NO0C » Sun Feb 14, 2016 6:30 pm

Update. The weather finally cooperated in Husker Nation with sunny skies and 48° this afternoon.

Tore things apart and put it back together as bgsengine suggested. I did finally find a picture of that type of system online and that helped as well.

Put things back together and it started right up and ran like a dream. Time will tell. I'm really hoping the occasion doesn't arrive that I need it. ;)

If you look at the float there is actually a formed groove that the long spring end fits into.

I hope I never need any parts for this thing, because the prices are terrible. Can you believe a needle and seat kit is north of $10?

Thanks again.
NO0C
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Sun Feb 14, 2016 7:34 pm

Yes, I had to pay $31+$9 for the Kohler inlet seat kit last summer. At least it came with the carburetor rebuild kit too. It still was a lot better than replacing the whole carburetor.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby bgsengine » Sun Feb 14, 2016 8:04 pm

NO0C wrote:. Can you believe a needle and seat kit is north of $10?

Thanks again.

You're kidding, right? wait til you have to get a float needle (just the needle) for a Briggs Vanguard or 3LC or Subaru Robin - I have seen float needles north of $30 *at MSRP* :bricks:

Or you could have the Toro snowblower that we had in the shop recently and then it was put on the junk heap because the owner did not want to buy a $235 carburetor for a $395 snowblower.. or wait til you have to price out a replacement carburetor (much less even finding parts) for some Kawasaki engines..

The trouble is , some parts like this are unique to a manufacturer or an engine and simply not available from anywhere but the manufacturer.. and they take advantage of that fact and jack up the prices wildly. Sometimes, with a little luck, some aftermarket supplier comes along with an exact fit replacement for MUCH less, and suddenly the manufacturer's prices come down to something that maybe makes a little more sense...
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby 38racing » Sun Feb 14, 2016 9:19 pm

Like the 1 in id x inch or so spacer for above the engine pulley on an older murray/noma. Briggs had it for $35 but a steel bushing cut to length was $3.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Mon Feb 15, 2016 12:46 am

bgsengine wrote: The trouble is , some parts like this are unique to a manufacturer or an engine and simply not available from anywhere but the manufacturer.. and they take advantage of that fact and jack up the prices wildly. Sometimes, with a little luck, some aftermarket supplier comes along with an exact fit replacement for MUCH less, and suddenly the manufacturer's prices come down to something that maybe makes a little more sense...

I worked for an office equipment dealer years ago where we parted out brand new equipment because of the parts costs exceeded what we could buy new equipment for. Example was when a calculator that sold $99 needed the printer replaced and the manufacture wanted $300, and we were the dealer. I finally found a supplier of the mag pack that was going bad in the printer that was only $12.

And the same scenario just played out with Husqvarna chainsaw PNCs. Their prices just dropped like a rock or at least that's according to the fellows over on the Arboristsite. I personally I haven't needed a cylinder yet this year so I haven't check the replacement prices.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Next

Return to Technical Discussion Forum