• Advertisement

Carburetor Solenoid hookup

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Re: Carburetor Solenoid hookup

Postby KE4AVB » Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:56 am

Tnx Sawman for verifying what I was thinking here as it would only be active during shut down. Just thinking of it as I haven't had any of this style of shut down in the shop to play with; therefore, I didn't mention it.

Still learning more every day... ;)
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby dennis » Mon Feb 15, 2016 1:01 pm

Thanks for trying, KE4AVB.
dennis
Forum Pro

Postby dennis » Mon Feb 15, 2016 1:09 pm

Sawman...

I am a little confused. I thought the solenoid on the carb was to cut off the fuel to the main jet/nozzle at shutdown to prevent dieseling and backfire. On my riding mower, when the switch is turned on, the solenoid opens (pulls in) and allows fuel to enter main nozzle. When the switch is turned off, it plunges forward and shuts off fuel. I guess I have two questions....

First, on a generator with an idle down circuit, how would this solenoid work?

Second, on my generator that does not have an idle down circuit, why couldn't you use just a bowl screw to hold the bowl on.......why go to the expense of having a non-functioning solenoid? Thanks.
dennis
Forum Pro

Postby sawman » Mon Feb 15, 2016 1:31 pm

The fuel solenoid on the generator acts opposite of the fuel solenoid on your tractor. On the tractor when there is power fuel will pass whereas on the generator when there is power the solenoid shuts off the fuel supply. A solenoid works both ways. It can be designed to close the needle with power or to open the needle with power. This way the solenoid on the generator doesn't require power to the solenoid to get it started.
The same engine is used on both types of generators and it is cost efficient to just have the one engine design than the cost would be to have engines without the solenoid installed.
sawman

Postby dennis » Mon Feb 15, 2016 1:47 pm

Thanks for clearing things up, Sawman.
dennis
Forum Pro

Previous

Return to Technical Discussion Forum