• Advertisement

Tecumseh LEV120 help

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Tecumseh LEV120 help

Postby Craftsman GT » Tue Feb 16, 2016 2:57 pm

I have a Tecumseh LEV120-361082C that keeps blowing white milky sludge out the breather. When I got it the oil showed some moisture. I've flushed the crankcase and changed oil twice so far with no difference. It runs good, doesn't smoke, and the oil hasn't gone down. Thanks
Craftsman GT

Advertisement

Re: Tecumseh LEV120 help

Postby NO0C » Tue Feb 16, 2016 3:11 pm

Have you removed the breather assembly and cleaned it thoroughly?

Any history on this engine? Did it sit out in the weather?
NO0C
Forum Pro

Postby bgsengine » Tue Feb 16, 2016 4:08 pm

white milky sludge is aerated oil/water - getting water somewhere - perhaps just a little condensation - as noted by NOOC clean the breather completely may help.
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby KE4AVB » Tue Feb 16, 2016 5:48 pm

It the equipment stored outside it must be covered or water can enter via the carburetor and muffler.

Once in the engine it will take some time to get it out even with oil changes. The engine needs to be at operating temperature for an extended period of time in order for the water to fully vaporize and suck out of the engine; also the breather check valve must operating properly.

This is something I had a lot problems with on my '73 IH running a 180F degree factory thermostat. I finally resolve the problem by installing a 195F thermostat. I was having this especially during the winter months even on a 25+miles one way trips.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Return to Technical Discussion Forum