• Advertisement

Walbro WY-9C Carb Replacement

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Walbro WY-9C Carb Replacement

Postby oli » Mon Feb 22, 2016 1:12 pm

I am working on a Tanaka hedge trimmer, Model THT 200, 22 CC engine. It is equipped with a Walbro WY-9C carb. This carb has a plastic body, and in the process of cleaning and reassembly, I stripped out the screw holes that hold it together. Consequently, I am looking for a new carb. According to the Walbro web site, the WY-9C carb supersedes to a Walbro WY-9-1-1. Both of these carbs have been discontinued, and are no longer available according to a number of websites I have searched. I have contacted Walbro, but am still waiting for a response. The support section of the Tanaka website is "under construction" and no information was available. The WY-9C, and WY-9-1 have a 10.5MM venturi, and 31MM mounting bolt hole spacing. Ebay has a number of carbs that appear similar to what I am trying to replace, specifically, a Walbro WYK-194. This carb has the same venturi size and bolt hole spacing as the original WY-9C. In addition it has a purge bulb, and adjustable jets. The throttle cable connection point and impulse hole location appear to be the same as what I am trying to replace. It is clearly longer , but there is plenty of room on the side of the engine where it will be mounted. I realize that I will have have to drill the tank for a purge return line. Is there anything else, I should consider? Thanks in advance.
oli

Advertisement

Re: Walbro WY-9C Carb Replacement

Postby rogerf » Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:47 pm

G'day from Oz where it's 40 C today!

Just a thought, but have you considered ' rescuing ' the existing carburettor body by tapping out the stripped threads to the next size up (either metric or inch sizes depending what you can lay your hands on)? Being plastic it should be easy to tap a new thread if you go slowly by hand and frequently blow out the cuttings.

It could actually be quicker than trying to source a replacement.

Good luck and steady hands!

Roger.
rogerf
Guide

Postby KE4AVB » Tue Feb 23, 2016 5:48 am

Good suggestion Roger.

Checked the Walbro site and the WY-9-1 is supposedly still available. I found an online that listing it so I emailed them to make sure they still can get it as I have seen things listed before that weren't available as just never removed the item from their listings.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby oli » Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:16 am

I have considered trying to re-tap the holes as a last resort. I have called Walbro, but am still waiting for a return call. I tried e-mail, but received message "access forbidden". Kinda hard to do business with a company you can't communicate with. Thanks for the responses. Oli
oli

Postby KE4AVB » Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:32 am

Oli, Where you trying to go through custserv@walbro.com which is in Cass City, Michigan? That would be their aftermarket division. I recently had to contact them back in the last of January 2016 and was responded back rather quickly.

I do know they had some site access problems for a while back in January too which seems to clear up somewhat.

EDIT***Vendor emailed back that they are can no longer get the WY-9-1 either which what I feared the case would be.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby oli » Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:02 pm

Yes, I tried to contact Walbro in Cass City, MI. I called he numbers and left messages for sales and engineering, and aftermarket. No joy
oli

Re: Walbro WY-9C Carb Replacement-Up date

Postby oli » Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:06 pm

I replaced the carb with a Walbro WYK-194. Machine starts and runs great. This carb matched the configuration of the old carb, and in addition it had a purge bulb and was adjustable. Thanks to all who responded. Oli
oli

Postby okie » Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:44 pm

Thanks Oli for getting back to us with your up date. I have been following this thread and wondered what you decided to do.

Okie :D
John 3:16
okie
Forum Pro

Return to Technical Discussion Forum