• Advertisement

Kohler SV735 Stalls/Stumbles

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Kohler SV735 Stalls/Stumbles

Postby Tenn » Tue Mar 01, 2016 1:03 pm

Kohler SV735-0016 SN 3705209263 Built 2007 in Sears 917.287462 SN 061807B004546

While mowing with engine at full power and in transport the engine will lose power as if it is bogged down and I notice the smell of unburnt fuel. Plugs never lose spark. I suspected the SAM Module but after a little research I see there have been problems with this ignition and now they offer a 32 707 01-S MDI ignition module conversion kit per SB259.

Am I on the right track with the 32 707 01-S MDI ignition module conversion kit?
Tenn

Advertisement

Re: Kohler SV735 Stalls/Stumbles

Postby TandEtractors » Tue Mar 01, 2016 3:09 pm

that is the correct retro fit kit.
TandEtractors

Postby Luffydog » Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:45 pm

sounds like the valves or the carb. start it up pull one plug wire off if it kills the engine you know the other cylinder is dead and if it doesnt kill put it back on and pull the other off and see what happens. if it kills the motor put it back on start and this time before you take it have a spray bottle on hand where you can spray in the carb to see if it contines to run or not. if it does carb. if where you can compression test first or leak down test then go from there.
Luffydog
Forum Pro

Postby Tenn » Sat Apr 09, 2016 9:37 am

UPDATE:

I owned an OPE sales and service business before retiring in 1999. My knowledge is out of date but I was all too familiar with Kohler ignition problems after the introduction of the Kohler Spark Advance Module (SAM). I was not knowledgeable of the DSAI/MDI ignition system and associated problems but I now know more about than I want.

I failed to mention the engine has excellent compression which ruled out valve problem. I did give thought to the carburetor but haunting memories of SAM problems led me in that direction. Simply put the ignition spark is slightly off resulting in unburnt fuel.

I installed the 32 707 01-S MDI ignition module conversion kit but the flywheel ring gear fell apart on the third start-up so I had to replace the flywheel. The engine now runs normal again.

This mower needs repairs every year. It is a backup for my 35 year old John Deere (Onan) that rarely needs work.

Thanks to all for your input.
Tenn

Return to Technical Discussion Forum