• Advertisement

General Transmission RS800P

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

General Transmission RS800P

Postby KE4AVB » Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:58 am

Anyone seen or have experiences with the General Transmission's RS800P unit? Looks like going to be a pain to work on for a while until we all get a good understanding of it repairs.

Already see that we going to need at least one special tool to remove and install the driven pulley assembly nut. The tool is PN GT79252. So far it appears to be only available through the distributor. It uses a 22mm open wrench which is less than 7/8"

The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: General Transmission RS800P

Postby bgsengine » Fri Mar 25, 2016 10:08 am

Have heard of them - they seem to be relatively new to the market as far as I can tell - don't know much about them at all. From the looks of it it would not be difficult to make a tool to work (especially if one happened to have an end mill laying around in the shop...)
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby KE4AVB » Fri Mar 25, 2016 11:41 am

Would not be dropping a hint would you? :lol: I know it looking more and more that I need to get one.

Looks more a like gear type trans based on the MTD system but yet Ariens has it listed as a hydro which was what Gerry was working recently. These are also used on the Husqvarna YTA mowers. Now just confused as to which it is.

Just trying to get a little ahead of the game o this one as I do see several Husqvarna riders every year. I manage to get a service manual but it doesn't have anything on the internals; not even an exploded view.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby bgsengine » Fri Mar 25, 2016 12:30 pm

yeah it may be a very new unit - We can get parts (and replacement transmissions) for GT transmissions from our Briggs distributor but I could not find your tool part number in current parts price files... so it might be a new product that they don't have parts catalogs or price file updates for yet.
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby 38racing » Fri Mar 25, 2016 10:31 pm

Am I missing something here? Why not just buy a 22mm open end wrench?
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Sat Mar 26, 2016 4:26 am

38racing wrote:Am I missing something here? Why not just buy a 22mm open end wrench?

Yelp your missing something. The image I posted is the tool and not the nut. The tool is for holding the shaft by the through pin so you can loosen and tighten the nut, you don't want any scars on the shaft as it part of the sliding sheave. The nut is tighten to 65 ft-lb which I would need to get a set crowfoots to adapt my torque wrench as sockets won't work for this application or get torque wrench like in the picture below.
And look what under that fixed sheaved eight steel balls that you need keep track of too. They are calling this an inversion security system. Just another reason for a clean work bench with a retaining lips.
It no worst to work on than some the ATV sliding sheave setups. Just got to have the right tools, the knowledge, and no beer or otherwise googles.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Sat Mar 26, 2016 7:53 am

would this thing work? it is 5/8 id and sides could be ground square. Pin it fits on is about 1/4".
http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/ ... 86/1826310
or
http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/ ... 71/1826325
That's assuming the actual tool isn't only $5.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:32 am

Probably not as 5/8 is nearly 16mm and the tool center hole is 12.3mm for a 12mm shaft. This would be quite wobbly on the shaft also could allow the pin to be bent during the rotational forces of removal/installation of the nut.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Sat Mar 26, 2016 9:01 am

What does the tool cost?
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Sat Mar 26, 2016 10:02 am

38racing wrote:What does the tool cost?

Have no idea...Not able find it via Google searches or any my vendors and Dixie Sales is supposedly the distributor which I haven't setup an account with as they want a $1000.00 order up front per the local rep and I have no current need to add that much to the inventory that might not sale for several years. I currently only on as needed basis and already spent over that in part purchases so far.

Matter of fact I just got and refused a box of supposedly $300 ATV parts Friday. The box was way too light so with my UPS driver permission to inspect we open the box and none of the parts except one gasket was in the box. Now I got to go the claims process; at least I paid for this order via Paypal so need to I can go through them to recover my funds. It was my first order through Partszilla.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Next

Return to Technical Discussion Forum