• Advertisement

honda EB 4000 generator wont go to fast idle

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

honda EB 4000 generator wont go to fast idle

Postby plotthound » Sat Mar 26, 2016 11:50 am

we had a heck of an ice storm here folks,no power for 30 hours.dragged my old Honda EB 4000 genny outside and the old sucker started on the 3 pull.got some cords ran and plugged into the unit only to see that it kept running on low idle,would not ramp up to fast idle.figured oh well will just hit the auto idle switch to off and let it run on fast idle.damn,still no joy would not ramp up.would this be a switch problem or a idle control unit problem?

thanks
plotthound
Guide

Advertisement

Re: honda EB 4000 generator wont go to fast idle

Postby KE4AVB » Sat Mar 26, 2016 2:01 pm

Simple to check if it is switch or not as it is simply an on/off (SPST) switch. Using an ohm meter one position will have continuity and the other position will register as an open circuit; just disconnect the switch wire first when testing the switch.

One other thing easily check is the idle control valve as it is just an electric solenoid.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby plotthound » Sat Mar 26, 2016 5:04 pm

thanks for the reply,will get the big heavy sucker up on the bench tomorrow and see whats going on with it.can check the switch then pick your brain on how to check idle control.
plotthound
Guide

Postby Luffydog » Sat Mar 26, 2016 7:03 pm

there is a little motor that gets stuck when they sit for a spell located on or behind the carb cant recall it is eletric thats my guess that it is stuck free it up and it will go from eco to fast..
Luffydog
Forum Pro

Postby plotthound » Sun Mar 27, 2016 10:22 am

so I lift this heavy SOB up onto my welding bench with the chain falls and notice the carb has started leaking from the sediment bowl gasket.wipe up the fuel and pull the choke lever and the damn choke plate breaks.take the air breather off and choke it with the palm of my hand but it wont stay running without the filter assembly on so I mess with it till its up to operating temp.put the filter assembly on and it wont start.i think between these problems and the massive oil blow by its time to cut my losses.a lot of parts are unavailable for this genny and a ring kit is 150 bux.unless I can find a doner machine machine to canabalize its time to draw the line.i bought this genny 15 years ago used and it breaks everytime I use it,just one of those bad buys that everyone gets now and again. :bricks:
plotthound
Guide

Postby plotthound » Sat Apr 02, 2016 2:22 pm

now that ive had time to get a good look at this generator I think I'm gonna spend some time on it before I give up.leaky carb can be easily fixed,the idle switch is faulty that can be replaced.im sure I can find something to work as a choke even if I can find a similar Honda carb.the next hurdle is the oil coming out of the crankcase breather tube.i pulled the cover off after running the engine and there was likely a 1/2 ounce of oil that ran out.pulled the head off and the head gasket looked ok but was very soft.engine also seems to have good compression.should I pull the valves out and give them a good look as well?they are carboned up a bit.i can still see the hatch marks on the cylinder wall so I take that as a good sign.would be nice to find out where that oil is coming from.

plotthound
Guide

Return to Technical Discussion Forum