• Advertisement

Flywheel removal from OLD 80702 Briggs

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Flywheel removal from OLD 80702 Briggs

Postby Millwright » Tue Apr 05, 2016 5:54 pm

Good Evening!! Didn't expect to have trouble removing a flywheel, but here I am. This briggs 3.5 (?) HP vertical shaft engine is on an old tiller my father had from as long as I can remember (I was born in 70, I believe he had it then!)...I need to access the points. I have removed the cover, and since it is a pull start, the piece to engage / release the rope is in the center. I do not see how to remove it, assuming i need to, and I do not see a nut to remove before pulling the flywheel. There is also a shaft sticking vertically up in the center that the square starter drive sits on.

I have removed a couple dozen flywheels, just not familiar with this set up. I'm sure someone here is. I just don't want to tear anything up. This tiller ran great last spring, but now has no spark.

(NOTE: I have to get up to go to work at 1:15am tomorrow, so I may not be quick on a reply if anyone asks questions!!) THANK YOU!
Millwright

Advertisement

Re: Flywheel removal from OLD 80702 Briggs

Postby KE4AVB » Tue Apr 05, 2016 6:17 pm

I think your posting about this type of starter clutch.
They can tapped off using a hammer as they just screw on but you should use the removal tool as you will need to torqued it back on. Here is a picture of the tool.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby bgsengine » Tue Apr 05, 2016 6:41 pm

Yup .. some of us cut our eyeteeth working on those.. Lots of tricks to removing the clutch - usually involving a block of wood and a hammer, but no real way to accurately torque them back on without the special tool.
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby Millwright » Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:49 am

Okay. I can do that. Thank you!! I bet my buddy has that tool in his stash!
Millwright

Postby KE4AVB » Wed Apr 06, 2016 7:19 am

Now you will still a flywheel puller but should be fairly straight forward once you get that starter clutch off.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:52 am

KE4AVB wrote:Now you will still a flywheel puller but should be fairly straight forward once you get that starter clutch off.

Will the little briggs banger tool on the crank end likely work on this unit?
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby RoyM » Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:22 pm

I have that tool, it sits collecting dust in the bottom of the tool chest, but in the past have used a pipe wrench to remove the starter clutch. Now I cut the wires going behind the flywheel and replace the coil with the Magnetron version.
Briggs and Stratton MST
RoyM
Forum Pro

Postby Millwright » Wed Apr 06, 2016 4:14 pm

I thought about installing a magnetron set up, but I am gonna look at these points first. I am not sure if they EVER have been replaced. If they have, I will guarantee its been 30 years ago! If I can clean / adjust them, I will just laugh and do that. If I have to replace them, I will probably update. Thank you all very much for the replies. I'm too tired to work on it tonight, plus its raining, so I will update later after i do it.
Millwright

Return to Technical Discussion Forum