• Advertisement

B&S carb needle leaks

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

B&S carb needle leaks

Postby kburns » Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:58 am

B&S 28A707-0122-02
Carb needle leaked and hydrolocked the engine. I drained & flushed out the engine and cleaned and rebuilt the carb. When rebuilding the carb, I used toothpaste and a Q-tip to clean & polish the brass inlet seat in the carb. New fuel filter and fuel lines installed.

Now the carb still leaks a bit. I guess I should now replace the brass inlet seat? I've never done this before, but I understand its fairly simple to tap the inlet seat and use a nut & bolt to pull it out. It looks like a 1/4-20 tap would be about right to tap the inner walls of the brass seat, but maybe the walls are too thin. Would it be better to use a smaller tap and tap into the inlet hole at the bottom of the seat? Any help and advice would be appreciated!
kburns

Advertisement

Re: B&S carb needle leaks

Postby KE4AVB » Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:18 pm

What I have used in the past is a bolt/screw extract that fits and simply turn it out while pulling out but the way your describing works too. Just lightly tap it instead of trying to get full thread depth. You want whatever you are using to hold tighten to not to slip out as you pull. On some Kohler's Walbros they use a self tapping screw/bolt to do extraction.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby kburns » Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:23 pm

Thanks! I'll give it a try this evening. I just wanted to make sure I don't do something that will damage the carb since they are expensive to replace!
kburns

Postby KE4AVB » Wed Apr 06, 2016 3:37 pm

When putting the new seat just make sure you don't install too far. Your looking a level float when installed and the carb is inverted to check float level. On some carburetors it is easy to install too far. If done then you going to need another seat to redo it.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Wed Apr 06, 2016 6:14 pm

I use the 1/4 tap.Something I find puzzling is the manual will say push it down flush yet every carb I have opened to do it on has the original seat a little above flush.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby kburns » Fri Apr 08, 2016 6:50 am

Thanks for all the suggestions. I pulled it last night with the 1/4-20 tap and a bolt through an inverted 1/4 drive socket and that worked perfectly. The old one pulled out easier than I thought it would. The new one didn't go all the way in flush like the old one was, it stuck up about a millimeter, but the float was perfectly level. Thanks for the help.
kburns

Return to Technical Discussion Forum