• Advertisement

Recommendation for a micrometer?

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Recommendation for a micrometer?

Postby creia » Thu Apr 14, 2016 6:12 pm

My son and I have a HF digital micrometer which has served us fairly well, however, I have always wondered how accurate they REALLY are. We purchased it a few years ago on sale with a 20% coupon for like $ 10.00! We are now interested in purchasing a higher-quality brand/model. Can anybody make any recommendations on what models to buy (as well as what NOT to buy)? It will be used to measure internal engine parts and tolerances for engine rebuilds. One other thing: Hopefully someone can recommend a brand/model we can go buy in a local "brick and mortar" store as opposed to having to order one online?
Thank you in advance,
Michael
creia
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: Recommendation for a micrometer?

Postby bgsengine » Thu Apr 14, 2016 6:43 pm

Only one brand comes to mind - Starrett http://www.starrett.com/metrology/metro ... icrometers

I have one that used to belong to my grandfather when he worked on aircraft in WWII and it is still in perfect condition - reads in .0001 (hundred thousandths) and have checked it many times over the years against a 1-inch standard (also from Starrett) and only once has it ever needed a very slight adjustment. True, they will be quite expensive (Expect to spend something like 50 bucks plus on a single micrometer, probably) but if you can find USED ones on ebay at a bargain price as long as they are not rusted solid, bent or otherwise damaged, they can be adjusted against a standard, they'll last just about forever. Fastenal carries them if you have a local branch , or you can go to starrett website above and scroll down , click on Find Distributor, and punch in your zip code and see what may be local to you.
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby okie » Thu Apr 14, 2016 7:09 pm

I worked in a aircraft factory back in 1957 and I ran a lathe and used mics a lot. My mics were starrett and lufkin. I still have them and they are often even today.
I don't know if these names are in business today or not, but if I needed a mic today, I would hunt for these brands. I have the standards and they are on the money.

Travis :usa: :usa: :usa:

Edited to add......I help build the F11 Tiger Supersonic Jet. (A big thing back in the day)
John 3:16
okie
Forum Pro

Postby bgsengine » Thu Apr 14, 2016 7:49 pm

okie wrote:I don't know if these names are in business today or not, but if I needed a mic today, I would hunt for these brands.
Yup they both are - (I linked to starrett above) - Lufkin - when I think of that name, I think of tape measures, though.. never did associate them with micrometers, but they are an excellent brand as well.
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby RoyM » Thu Apr 14, 2016 8:59 pm

Starrett is among the best on the market, I drool over their tools but the budget simply won't allow it. Bang for the buck, Toyo has to be near the top of the list, I have been using them for years with no problems. I won't look at the offshore knockoffs, IMHO they are a complete waste of money and time. A grenaded engine costs too much.
Briggs and Stratton MST
RoyM
Forum Pro

Postby Arkie » Fri Apr 15, 2016 2:45 pm

Starrett:

Watch flea bay for Starrett and when you see something interesting get the Model number, etc, and research the new price vs old price and the feedback of the seller and if it has a inspection period if buying used.

I have some really old old Starrett's that are still good due to not being abused.

I have some of the cheapo digital dial HF and sack full of replacement bat's that are readily available. (the repl bat's are from flea bay) The HF cheapo mic's and dial calipers have stood up to the shop use very well. For precise nut cutting go with Starrett.
The Starrett's and other are put away where only I can get too them.
Arkie
Forum Pro

Postby creia » Sat Apr 16, 2016 11:46 am

Thank you to all that replied.Understood, duly noted, and APPRECIATED! :)
Michael
creia
Forum Pro

Postby HondaG100 » Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:01 pm

Mitutoyo is the industry standard for machinists although some will argue. eBay is your friend here since good used tools are much better than new cheap ones. McMaster has a whole range of new stuff that can be had with a phone call. Try part number 2097A11 . Expensive but worth it if you use it allot. If you buy used get a standard to check it with.
HondaG100
Guide

Return to Technical Discussion Forum