• Advertisement

Murray SP mower 2016

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Murray SP mower 2016

Postby KE4AVB » Sun Apr 17, 2016 2:58 pm

And its gets even more confusing...I just purchased a 2016 Murray 12B-A0BE758 to be parted out. An Einstein customer ran the mower without even putting the initial oil in it.

Apparently Briggs isn't the only one making these. This one is made by MTD. I got sent off to Servantage Dixie Sales but there is no IPLs for this model. I needing part numbers so I would what would interchange with other models.

Anyone know where I can find the IPL for the mower body? The engine IPL is no problem.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: Murray SP mower 2016

Postby bgsengine » Sun Apr 17, 2016 3:49 pm

well, as you surmised, it is an MTD built machine - http://www.mtdparts.com/equipment/mtdpa ... 2016%29//1
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby KE4AVB » Sun Apr 17, 2016 4:26 pm

Thanks BGS that is a different MTD look-up site then what I had bookmarked here so of course I am bookmarking it here for further reference.

Looks like I will make a good profit parting it out since I paid only $50 for the whole thing and its new. The engine's crankcase and rod are shot as the engine grenade itself.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby bgsengine » Sun Apr 17, 2016 5:58 pm

KE4AVB wrote:Thanks BGS that is a different MTD look-up site then what I had bookmarked here so of course I am bookmarking it here for further reference.

Good plan - same website MTD's service dealers use - Likewise for troy-bilt (http://www.troybilt.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... ogId=14102) and Cub Cadet (http://www.cubcadet.com/equipment/ARIPa ... reId=10051)

All 3 are MTD Factory run sites so should have the latest available info and lookups - Much like with my earlier post regarding the Briggs part number - as I discovered myself, there can be considerable discrepancies between parts lookups (and how they work or don't work) between different sites, so pretty much go to the OEM for the latest and most up to date stuff... just can be hard to find sometimes..
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby KE4AVB » Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:04 am

Wasn't doing anything this so I torn down the mower just what all was done. What an hair brain the operator was. Not only they run the engine without oil they bent the blade and destroyed the blade adaptor. It wasn't even ran enough to even wear the paint off the blade tips. Engine definitely shows signs of no oil. Cylinder badly scored. When the rod went it took both the cam, the intake lifter, crankshaft and of course cylinder block. Was able to recover the head assembly, push rods, piston with rings, oil slinger/governor, the crankshaft gear and oil pan plus all the exterior parts.

It the first time I have seen a plastic starter cup and what a fragile flywheel. No wonder I seen one split in half.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Mon Apr 18, 2016 1:53 pm

So briggs, who owns Murray brand along with snapper and simplicity , has MTD make stuff for them?
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby bgsengine » Mon Apr 18, 2016 2:11 pm

38racing wrote:So briggs, who owns Murray brand along with snapper and simplicity , has MTD make stuff for them?
Yep. along with Toro too.. pretty much any more, a consumer grade tractor or mower you get is gonna be either MTD or AYP Husqvarna any more.. no matter what brand badge is on it. MTD also makes Murray handheld (Based on the former Ryobi platform which MTD owned for a while before selling it off to TTI)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby KE4AVB » Mon Apr 18, 2016 2:23 pm

Looks like it MTD all the other than the engine. Anything else has MTD part numbers on them.

Briggs purchased Murray years ago, but doesn't own or have rights to the name. The current Murrays are either Husqvarna/poulan or MTD for push mowers, and MTD for the riders. MTD purchased Cub Cadet in 1981 and still own them. That is the high end product for MTD. Craftsman are made by Husqvarna/Poulan, and MTD. Briggs owns Simplicity/Snapper, but the Walmart Snappers are made by MTD.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby bgsengine » Mon Apr 18, 2016 3:37 pm

KE4AVB wrote:Looks like it MTD all the other than the engine. Anything else has MTD part numbers on them.

Briggs purchased Murray years ago, but doesn't own or have rights to the name. The current Murrays are either Husqvarna/poulan or MTD for push mowers, and MTD for the riders. MTD purchased Cub Cadet in 1981 and still own them. That is the high end product for MTD. Craftsman are made by Husqvarna/Poulan, and MTD. Briggs owns Simplicity/Snapper, but the Walmart Snappers are made by MTD.

Actually, briggs DOES own the brand - they snapped it up out of Murray's bankruptcy The Murray brand was acquired by Briggs & Stratton in 2004. On August 30, 2005, Lawrenceburg produced its last lawnmower, closing on September 30, 2005
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby KE4AVB » Mon Apr 18, 2016 4:02 pm

I stand corrected on that...Then they would be licensing the others to do the manufacturing under the Murray brand name other the engines. Anyway it is a little confusing as to which you need to buy parts from without looking the IPLs which is why I insist on my customers provided the make and model number info if I'm going to look-up parts without seeing the equipment and some things I actually got see the equipment to get the numbers myself.

It was unique the other day to see a model number with AVB as part of it on a Troy-bilt mower.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Next

Return to Technical Discussion Forum