• Advertisement

Echo SRM-225

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Echo SRM-225

Postby KE4AVB » Sat Apr 23, 2016 7:59 am

I am working a couple SRM-225's. A couple questions.

Is some the screws T27 torx head? Also on the clutch/flywheel cover how the bearings held in? I was going try to press out the clutch drum as it is rusted in place but I thinking there is retaining snap ring holding the bearing in and I would shatter the housing if to much pressure was applied.

These must have been left out in the rain as even the flex shafts are gummed up.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: Echo SRM-225

Postby bgsengine » Sat Apr 23, 2016 9:39 am

Depending on the serial number but pretty much every Torx screw that Echo uses is T27 and most "more recent" models are almost entirely T27 torx fasteners

As for the clutch drum and bearings - The drum is retained to bearing with a 12mm snap ring accessed from the output side of the cover - if the clutch drum has slots you can go through those slots to get the 27mm internal snap ring that holds bearings to the housing, otherwise clutch drum has to come off first and getting to that snap ring that holds it on can be a royal PITA - Often it is simply faster and cheaper to replace the whole clutch housing assembly - for example a P021015560 fan cover assembly that includes clutch drum and bearings in the latest version , runs around $40 so if your labor time to R&R the clutch drum and bearings (and the condition of the parts) is gonna exceed that, may as well save the time and pop in a new assembly.

But again - any Echo is gonna need the serial number for correct parts lookup
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby KE4AVB » Sat Apr 23, 2016 10:48 am

I afraid they were T27's and that a size I don't have in my T handle set. I know that some of the Stihl were using them. Now just got order in set T handle that includes the T27 and T40 ones. I have been putting off ordering set until May along a set left handed torque wrenches as I am still researching the torque wrenches.

And it is the P021015560 cover; I looked and don't look like I can access that large ring from the outside so it be a new cover if the user wants it fixed. And it is PITA on that clutch drum neck even with snap tool from my VCR tool kit.

He didn't take care of either trimmer so may not want to put $180 plus one trimmer head in both trimmers but that is up to the customer. It would not have cost that much if he only took better care of the trimmers. If he is going to replace just one it cost him $220 with taxes here at HD.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby bgsengine » Sat Apr 23, 2016 12:59 pm

KE4AVB wrote:I afraid they were T27's and that a size I don't have in my T handle set. I know that some of the Stihl were using them. Now just got order in set T handle that includes the T27 and T40 ones. I have been putting off ordering set until May along a set left handed torque wrenches as I am still researching the torque wrenches.

And it is the P021015560 cover; I looked and don't look like I can access that large ring from the outside so it be a new cover if the user wants it fixed. And it is PITA on that clutch drum neck even with snap tool from my VCR tool kit.

He didn't take care of either trimmer so may not want to put $180 plus one trimmer head in both trimmers but that is up to the customer. It would not have cost that much if he only took better care of the trimmers. If he is going to replace just one it cost him $220 with taxes here at HD.

Can get Echo's wobble T27 screwdriver (not a T-Handle) part number 91113 and Briggs has a T40 T-handle (Shorty) in tool set 19465 and Stens has a relatively cheap set of T-Handle torx drivers (last I knew of) or they used to have the T-Handle drivers available in single pieces - very good quality - still have mine.

Echo does make a long reach snap ring plier for those pesky snap rings, but Ive never used ours - since it is so much cheaper to just replace the whole assembly Ive never yet replaced a clutch drum or bearing in an SRM-225
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby KE4AVB » Sat Apr 23, 2016 1:49 pm

I thinking of ordering the Bondhus 33034 8 piece set. I have worn out my HF set anyway especially the T-20 that I brought 3 years ago just never had the T-27. Probably would have lasted a lot longer if wasn't for all those rusted fasteners I have removed; some I even snap off with the HF version.

The ring pliers I used wasn't for your normal snap-rings but are for grip rings anyway it is keen nosed.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Return to Technical Discussion Forum