• Advertisement

Tillotson HL Carb Compatibility

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Tillotson HL Carb Compatibility

Postby dougand3 » Sat Apr 23, 2016 10:08 pm

I got a Military Remington 754G chainsaw. Carb is Tillotson HL 159A. Anybody know of a close replacement HL? I see the HL 324A is common. Thanks.
dougand3
Forum Regular

Advertisement

Re: Tillotson HL Carb Compatibility

Postby KE4AVB » Sun Apr 24, 2016 7:56 am

Doug,

Best bet for info on this saw will be the Arboristsite group as some them are very into working on chainsaws especially when modifying them. Some of them are collectors too.

If you can save the current carburetor that would be best as all the linkages will but if install a different carburetor then you need to make your own linkages.
Personally I have only work a couple of the old Tillotson carbs over the last few years. One I saved and the other was too far gone and the customer didn't want to put that much into the repairs on that Stihl FS80E trimmer.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby Arkie » Sun Apr 24, 2016 8:38 am

Here is a link to chainsawr that is real good for chainsaw info, especially subbing parts and carbs for old saws. They sell used carbs and their carbs usually come with a new kit installed and also they send you a new kit with the carb and sometimes the linkages, gaskets, etc..
https://store.chainsawr.com/

Unless you get some good info from someone who really knows, subbing a Tillotson carb that is just one letter off for example a 159x vs a 159A will be different. One carb may sub for the other on a chainsaw but not vice versa due to choke arrangement. I've had real good luck rebuilding the Tillotsons.
Sometimes you can find reasonable kits and carbs with careful shopping on flea bay.

Here is one on flea bay now but keep in mind that used ones most likely need a kit. $32 or make offer.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tillotson-HL159 ... 25b3ee7313

Also post under the Tradin post link at arborist as want to buy, etc
http://www.arboristsite.com/community/f ... -post.132/
Arkie
Forum Pro

Postby dougand3 » Sun Apr 24, 2016 9:38 am

Thanks, guys. I do have an RK88 kit on order. I'm looking at fallback if rebuild doesn't work. I do now have an US cleaner - thanks, AVB. So, success rate on rebuilds should go up.
dougand3
Forum Regular

Postby Arkie » Sun Apr 24, 2016 7:56 pm

dougand3 wrote:Thanks, guys. I do have an RK88 kit on order. I'm looking at fallback if rebuild doesn't work. I do now have an US cleaner - thanks, AVB. So, success rate on rebuilds should go up.

During the ultrasonic bath and again afterwards use some low pressure air if possible. by low pressure I'm referring to not over 20 psi and don't inject air directly with a blow gun directly against the carb, I've poped out the welch plugs or made them leak by direct injection of air into a tillotson. Also some have a round sinter block filter at the fuel intake, use air and give it a good cleaning and the round cork gasket for this filter in some kits is not correct size so try to save your old gasket here. This sinter material porus filter will catch finer particles than the in gas tank filter and get restricted and the carb will starve for gas. Do not pop out any of the welch plugs on the first kitting, usually not needed. Also some of the HL series have a 1/4 inch fine threaded stud directly in the top of the carb and it must be tight with a copper seal washer or the carb won't pump fuel. Using a special adapter for checking fuel pump pressure at 2-3 lbs the stud can be removed to check the fuel pump pressure as the saw is cranked. (just make sure it's good and snug and it's normally not removed for kitting the carb. The HL series is used on some of the old McCullochs and the HL pump test procedure is mentioned in their service manuals.
Also keep a heads up and get the gaskets and diagraphs in correct order and use your old gaskets as a reference because some of the RK kits have extra gaskets for other HL series carbs. (will have gaskets that you don't need) Here is some links to get a free download for the HL series Tillotson service manual. (and other info) The first two links are to get the same free HL download service manual. The last link is for cross ref and individual parts.
They usually take kitting user friendly if you get all the gaskets in correct sandwich order. (per the diagram)

http://gofree.indigo.ie/~vire7/pdf/carb.pdf
gofree.indigo.ie/~vire7/pdf/carb.pdf
http://www.tillotson.ie/docs/HLPartsList.pdf
Arkie
Forum Pro

Postby dougand3 » Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:48 am

Thanks so much, Arkie. I've printed your data and will reference when kit gets here.
dougand3
Forum Regular

Return to Technical Discussion Forum