• Advertisement

Broken Cooling Fin Off Flywheel

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Broken Cooling Fin Off Flywheel

Postby Merkava_4 » Sat Apr 30, 2016 12:20 am

Briggs & Stratton
92902 1801-01 77092901

Aluminum flywheel with one fin broken off.

How adversely does that effect the balance? Should I bite the bullet and buy a new flywheel?
Merkava_4
Guide

Advertisement

Re: Broken Cooling Fin Off Flywheel

Postby okie » Sat Apr 30, 2016 5:56 am

I had one fin break off and I just broke another fin directly opposite the accidental broken fin and the motor ran as good as always. no ill effects in five years.

This was my personal mower.

Travis :usa: :usa: :usa:
John 3:16
okie
Forum Pro

Postby RoyM » Sat Apr 30, 2016 11:51 am

I wouldn't worry too much about it, the engine is 40 years old. It is well past it's best before date. :D Knock a fin off 180 degrees from the broken one if you feel it might make a difference.
Briggs and Stratton MST
RoyM
Forum Pro

Postby Merkava_4 » Sun May 01, 2016 10:15 pm

RoyM wrote:I wouldn't worry too much about it, the engine is 40 years old. It is well past it's best before date. :D Knock a fin off 180 degrees from the broken one if you feel it might make a difference.

Thanks for your help Roy. I did just like you suggested; I knocked the other fin off that's 180 from the broken fin and then filed both broken fins flat to the same hight. Engine runs fine. By the way, I used a 3/8 pin punch and an 8 ounce ball peen hammer to knock the other fin off. I was shocked at how easy it was to break off with the slightest tap. :shock:
Merkava_4
Guide

Return to Technical Discussion Forum