• Advertisement

Tecumseh TVS120 hard to start when hot

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Tecumseh TVS120 hard to start when hot

Postby johnl_ » Thu May 05, 2016 3:56 pm

Tecumseh TVS120 61030A DOM 4315 0

On a Craftsman walk behind self propelled mower. It starts OK when cold, after running for a while and shut down it is hard to re-start. It will re-start but it has to be primed 10+ times to get it to pop, then it dies and needs re-priming. Eventually with enough priming it will catch and run. After that it runs fine. I checked gas tank for water, none. I let gas run out of tank with cap on via fuel line, flowed fine, no sign of cap venting problems. I am going to do basic carb rebuild with needle and seat, clean out passages with carb cleaner. Is there anything else to look for as to why it doesn't like starting when hot?

john
johnl_

Advertisement

Re: Tecumseh TVS120 hard to start when hot

Postby bgsengine » Thu May 05, 2016 4:41 pm

compression - possible valve clearance issue is more likely than a carb issue. Or, it could be weak ignition (unlikely but possible) - Try a new plug for one thing... but odds are it is a valve problem... or maybe a head gasket getting ready to let go.
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Return to Technical Discussion Forum