• Advertisement

Stens vs. Briggs & Stratton Flywheel Puller

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Stens vs. Briggs & Stratton Flywheel Puller

Postby Merkava_4 » Fri May 06, 2016 8:01 am

Stens #750-125 vs. Briggs & Stratton #19069. Which one would you choose ?
Merkava_4
Guide

Advertisement

Re: Stens vs. Briggs & Stratton Flywheel Puller

Postby rogerf » Fri May 06, 2016 8:21 am

Hi,

I bought the Stens first thinking it would do for more engine sizes, but after a couple of uses it bent a little, but still usable. Then I bought the Briggs - it hasn't bent at all with much more use. Still have the Stens in the toolbox, but reach for the Briggs.

Cheers from Oz, Roger.
rogerf
Guide

Postby KE4AVB » Fri May 06, 2016 8:35 am

Here I just use a harmonic balancer puller as I can use it to pull both 2 bolt and 3 bolt flywheels just need some heavy washers to prevent bolt head pull through. Definitely don't need to worry breaking it; although, I might break a flywheel or a bolt which I have.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby rogerf » Fri May 06, 2016 5:04 pm

Hi KE4AVB,

I have a harmonic balancer remover in the toolbox as well. I find it works well provided there is sufficient space to get it in. The closeness of other parts that I didn't want to remove preventing access for the harmonic balancer tool was the reason I bought the Stens tool.

Cheers Roger.
rogerf
Guide

Postby KE4AVB » Fri May 06, 2016 5:24 pm

Ahh...I didn't think about that but most times I had to remove the engines anyway for other problems like a Kawasaki that I couldn't get the shroud off until I pulled the engine. I was needing to replace flywheel side oil seal on that John Deere 737 ZTR with horizontal engine.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby Merkava_4 » Fri May 06, 2016 5:45 pm

Thanks for the excellent advice guys. Do I need to tap the flywheel holes out to 1/4''-20 before using the puller ?
Merkava_4
Guide

Postby bgsengine » Fri May 06, 2016 5:59 pm

Merkava_4 wrote:Thanks for the excellent advice guys. Do I need to tap the flywheel holes out to 1/4''-20 before using the puller ?

if you got the OEM Briggs tool the screws will be self-threading bolts so they'll cut the threads as they go in.
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby Merkava_4 » Fri May 06, 2016 11:20 pm

bgsengine wrote:if you got the OEM Briggs tool the screws will be self-threading bolts so they'll cut the threads as they go in.

Thank you sir! :usa:

Is this puller a genuine Briggs tool do you think ?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/262023248643?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT
Merkava_4
Guide

Postby rogerf » Sat May 07, 2016 3:47 am

Hi Merkava 4,

Certainly looks like a new old stock Briggs & Stratton part. If it proves to be otherwise there should be remedies through eBay/PayPal.

Cheers, Roger
rogerf
Guide

Postby bgsengine » Sat May 07, 2016 6:54 am

Merkava_4 wrote:
bgsengine wrote:if you got the OEM Briggs tool the screws will be self-threading bolts so they'll cut the threads as they go in.

Thank you sir! :usa:

Is this puller a genuine Briggs tool do you think ?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/262023248643?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT

That will be *VERY OLD* New Old Stock (Circa 1970's packaging) so the bolts may or may not be the same self threading bolts as current production (if they are even included - That box was made before I started turning wrenches)
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Next

Return to Technical Discussion Forum