• Advertisement

PTO is killing engine

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

PTO is killing engine

Postby barrentine934_+ » Sat May 07, 2016 3:11 pm

I have a badboy pro zt 26 with 60" cut.When I pull the PTO knob to turn blades on it kills engine just like you switch the key off.Its shorting out or safety interlock is doing this.I have ohm the relays and they are all good.I checked and no voltage is getting to the pto clutch.what do I need to do to solve this issue.Thanks
barrentine934_+

Advertisement

Re: PTO is killing engine

Postby bgsengine » Sat May 07, 2016 3:53 pm

check the seat switch or, where equipped, the reverse operation switch
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby KE4AVB » Sat May 07, 2016 7:43 pm

Engine needs not to running for this test/

Ignition on + Pto switch on = no voltage at PTO clutch connector with it still plugged in correct ?
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby barrentine934_+ » Sat May 07, 2016 8:08 pm

ignition on,pto on and no power at connector that is correct.I think its the yellow wire coming from the pto plug that i can turn my meter to ohm and touch one probe to yellow and the other to any ground and i get continuity.i can turn my meter to volts and touch probe to yellow and ground and i get 12.4 volts.
barrentine934_+

Postby 38racing » Sat May 07, 2016 11:00 pm

seems to be two issues? Engine going off when pto turned on means the seat safety circuit is grounding the coil kill lead. Voltage to Pto another issue but maybe some relay(s) are involved in both. You need the wiring schematic
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Sun May 08, 2016 6:05 am

38racing wrote:seems to be two issues? Engine going off when pto turned on means the seat safety circuit is grounding the coil kill lead. Voltage to Pto another issue but maybe some relay(s) are involved in both. You need the wiring schematic

38 It can easily do it if the voltage is being lost as the after-fire solenoid would shut the engine down, also the relays would go offline shutting the engine down. The wiring diagram isn't labeled as to what switch is doing just where the wires are going. You would to know how switch works to trace to the problem. But I can tell you this If the ignition switch is on and the PTO clutch switch is pulled on the PTO should engage provided everything is working. There is no relay controlling it just the ignition switch, the PTO switch, wiring, and the PTO clutch itself.

23 Vanguard, 26 Briggs, and 27 Kohler (ZT) Wiring Diagram

barrentine934_+ wrote:ignition on,pto on and no power at connector that is correct.I think its the yellow wire coming from the pto plug that i can turn my meter to ohm and touch one probe to yellow and the other to any ground and i get continuity.i can turn my meter to volts and touch probe to yellow and ground and i get 12.4 volts.

A little confused are these reading reading with the PTO is still connected? PTO clutches only read 1.6-3.0 ohms normally with anything under 1.6 indicating a partial to full short. Most continuity meters will buzz at this level; you need to using the regular ohms mode. IF your getting 12.4v with it connected on the yellow wire (which diagram here indicated Orange) at the PTO connector at the PTO clutch, check the black wire for voltage. If voltage there then it is bad ground.

But what I'm suspecting is bad connection at the ignition switch or at one of the tie points in the yellow wire path as as that feeds five circuits. With voltage dropping out on this circuit would cause everything to shut down especially if at the ignition switch or the tie points. As this supplies power to the relays, the fuel anti after-fire solenoid, PTO, and the aux lighting circuits. I have this a few times where the circuit wasn't loaded to show voltage but as soon as it is loaded for voltage to disappear as the connection breaks. I had this problem on JD, CC, MTD and Husqvarna in just the last year so it not a brand specific problem. The Cub was a bad connector at the starter relay supplying all of the 12v items. Husky was at the ignition switch connector, the JD was a shorted PTO clutch but not shorted enough to blow the 20 amp fuse (was drawing 18 amps when it normally draw 5-7 amps), and the MTD was at a tie point.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Sun May 08, 2016 8:36 am

Forgot to mention that those Packard electrical connectors are bad about either loosing their spring tension or simply breaking the spring contact.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby barrentine934_+ » Sun May 08, 2016 9:32 am

Im not getting any voltage at the pto clutch,I am getting voltage at the on the yellow wire where the plug plugs into the switch.but not at the connector at the pto clutch.
barrentine934_+

Postby Luffydog » Sun May 08, 2016 11:46 am

Sounds like the switch is giving u fits
Luffydog
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Sun May 08, 2016 2:03 pm

See if this helps out checking the PTO switch. Matching color would read as closed contact in the position indicated. The colors I used will not match your wiring setup; they are for switch diagnosics only.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Next

Return to Technical Discussion Forum