• Advertisement

Engine swap

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Engine swap

Postby bones1 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:58 am

Spanking new member here with a question please. I have a Generac 5500 watt generator with a 11 hp Generac (I believe) engine on it. Can the gas engine be replaced with a 10 hp diesel or would there be a shaft/mounting problem between the two? Or is this just not done?. These diesels are the Yanmar clones you see for $600.00. I think I have a good reason to attempt this conversion as I want to install the generator in my M35A2 and run it off one of the spare 50 gallon diesel tanks.
Sorry . That's two questions. :)
bones1

Advertisement

Re: Engine swap

Postby bobodu » Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:15 pm

You might have a problem with a tapered shaft.
"Give me a fast ship, for I intend to go into harm's way."
bobodu
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby bgsengine » Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:31 pm

And also power output - unless your diesel runs at 3750 RPM or your gas engine runs at 1875 RPM - the genny won't work even if the engine runs and hooks up fine.
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby StarTech » Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:21 pm

Tapered shaft problem for one. Mounting another. The 10hp Yanmar clones do appear to capable of 3600 RPMs at the crankshaft is what the 2 pole Generac generator head needs.

Here is an idea which depends on where you are. Check this out on Ebay. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sigma-6000-Watt-Open-Frame-Diesel-Generator-with-Electric-Start-/251351827372

If you willing to spend the 600.00 why not sell the Generac and spend a few hundred more and get a brand new generator with a warranty.

I enjoying modifying equipment as about much as others but sometimes it just gets too expensive than what I buy new.
StarTech

Postby bones1 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:14 pm

Thanks for the input. Looks like too much trouble to fool with it. What I really need to find is an Onan diesel genset out of a motorhome.
bones1

Return to Technical Discussion Forum