• Advertisement

walbro wz19 carb

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

walbro wz19 carb

Postby thomd51 » Sun May 15, 2016 5:55 pm

have a shindawa trimmer I want to fix for a friend. need a wz19 carb walbro shindawa lilred 260 trimmer. ordered a pump plate assy but the pump valves were stuck to the seats and I couldn't use it.
checked around the carb is nla. the original carb works ok but the primer doesn't work and it has to work to start the unit . you prime it then press the black button and fuel goes into the carb throat
to start.
got a new primer plate assy. from ereplacment parts but as I said the primer valves were stuck to the seats. shot some fuel in the little check valves and pushed a 1/32 dia rod in to try to push them free.
got one loose, I could tell by pressing a length of fuel hose against it and put the other end in my mouth. I could "feel" the check valve working. Damaged the other one, poked the rod through and wrecked it. so now my new part is ng. would like to buy a new carb if I could find one. I know it's not worth it but it's for a friend. there must be one in the US. somewhere TOM.
thomd51
Forum Regular

Advertisement

Re: walbro wz19 carb

Postby bgsengine » Sun May 15, 2016 7:35 pm

thomd51 wrote:have a shindawa trimmer I want to fix for a friend. need a wz19 carb walbro shindawa lilred 260 trimmer. ordered a pump plate assy but the pump valves were stuck to the seats and I couldn't use it.
checked around the carb is nla. the original carb works ok but the primer doesn't work and it has to work to start the unit . you prime it then press the black button and fuel goes into the carb throat
to start.
got a new primer plate assy. from ereplacment parts but as I said the primer valves were stuck to the seats. shot some fuel in the little check valves and pushed a 1/32 dia rod in to try to push them free.
got one loose, I could tell by pressing a length of fuel hose against it and put the other end in my mouth. I could "feel" the check valve working. Damaged the other one, poked the rod through and wrecked it. so now my new part is ng. would like to buy a new carb if I could find one. I know it's not worth it but it's for a friend. there must be one in the US. somewhere TOM.

OK first Off: that Lil Red 260 is not Shindaiwa - It is a Jonsered.

Second, I used to sell them (late 1980's) and my dad and my neighbor both have one as well - in fact neighbor needs the very same replacement purge base assembly for his (and it is the same WZ-19 carb) 21-777-1 would be the part number, if I recall right.
If your new valve body came with stuck valves, why was it not returned for warranty instead of trying to fix it? (assuming it was OEM Walbro) If you assemble it and the primer cannot loosen them simply by normal operation then you likely may have had a leak at primer base gasket or bulb or somewhere - cause the primer bulb should be able to pull enough vacuum to unseat them if it was a genuine new packaged part.. and if not then it would have been defective and should have warranty coverage - did you pressure/vacuum test the carb before condemning the purge base, BTW? if it has any of the aforementioned air leaks, it would have shown up in the test procedure. As far as I can tell from *anywhere* there are no current production new carbs available you would have to find a New Old Stock - either Walbro OEM or Efco/Jonsered part numbers (Those li'l Reds were made by Efco an Italian Company, last I knew of - *NOT* Echo, owned by Yamabiko Corp, which also owns Shindaiwa and Bearcat and units built mostly in Lake Zurich, IL factory)
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby thomd51 » Mon May 16, 2016 8:35 am

your right it is a jonsered. Ididn't think it was worth it to return the plate to Utah. I tried to fix it (I have done this before) but this time ng. I noticed the metal plate with primer bulb and "u shaped" rubber
gskt. was bent slightly. I flattend it but it didn't help. part was oem waibro and your right the part # is 21-777-1 I condemned the primer because the trimmer idles, accelerates, and runs at wot very well.
you say the trimmer is around 30 years old, wow didn't know it was that old. best to suggest a new one thanks bgsengine. TOM.
thomd51
Forum Regular

Postby oli » Mon May 16, 2016 1:17 pm

Check Ebay for Walbro Carbs in the same series as what you have. Compare your carb to the pictures of the carbs listed to match the throttle cable attachment configuration. Use the Walbro site to compare the venturi size - probably 10.5mm. If you find something similar, it will probably work for your application. I did the same thing for a vintage Tanaka hedge trimmer where the original carb was no longer available. Purchased a new carb similar to the old one, and it worked just fine. I also have a Lil Red 260, but it is equipped with a Tilitson carb.
oli

Return to Technical Discussion Forum