• Advertisement

Tecumseh TVS 120 Intake tube to block torque

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Tecumseh TVS 120 Intake tube to block torque

Postby johnl_ » Sun May 29, 2016 1:21 am

I have a spec of 95 inch pounds, but the lower bolt is too close to the intake tube casting to get a socket on it. I can use a small 3/8" open end wrench but it doesn't quite fit in the space, it cams out before getting full torque, maybe 60 in/Lbs. Thinking about grinding back a cheap wrench so it fits in the space better, has anyone else run into this?
johnl_

Advertisement

Re: Tecumseh TVS 120 Intake tube to block torque

Postby KE4AVB » Sun May 29, 2016 6:12 am

Just don't see Tecumseh here anymore...

It been a long time since I done this but you may find grinding a cheap deep socket will work better as you said it only 95 in-lbs. Just remember to grind the tip too as they don't engage the head until partially on. I grind tips on many of 1/4 drive socket as I run into shallow headed screws that socket can't grip if not done. I even have a couple sockets that I have done as I couldn't them into recess holes on few engines. It just was the socket walls were too thick.

The access problem is why manufactures are changing some fasteners to use torx bits and hex wrenches on the same fasteners. On several Briggs one carburetor requires a Torx to remove or tighten while other side requires a wrench; unless, you just enjoy removing rust on mufflers. Some of the older Briggs did use a cross head fasteners but I change them as I come across them just to make repairs easier.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Return to Technical Discussion Forum