• Advertisement

honda generator wont fast idle

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

honda generator wont fast idle

Postby plotthound » Sat Nov 05, 2016 7:36 am

so picked up a eb3500x generator free from work.its well used but looks to be in ok condition.apparently it produces power but engine wont go to fast idle under a heavy load.i have not personally fired it up yet,the carb needs a good cleaning and ive been busy as heck.what should I look for that would cause this problem?

thanks
plotthound
Guide

Advertisement

Re: honda generator wont fast idle

Postby KE4AVB » Sat Nov 05, 2016 8:23 am

I'm assuming the engine stays running but don't accel.

First make the auto throttle control isn't jammed. From there see if you can manually increase the engine speed by moving the throttle vane. Also check to if linkages are in the right place as someone may have been monkeying with it.

Other than treat as you would any other engine as far a troubleshooting goes.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby Arkie » Sun Nov 06, 2016 6:27 am

KE4AVB wrote:I'm assuming the engine stays running but don't accel.

First make the auto throttle control isn't jammed. From there see if you can manually increase the engine speed by moving the throttle vane. Also check to if linkages are in the right place as someone may have been monkeying with it.

Other than treat as you would any other engine as far a troubleshooting goes.

Right about above:
I looked at the service manual and when the AUto switch is off using the selector switch, even with no load on the gen the engine should be under normal governor control and run at around 3750 rpms for a 60 hertz gen.
Their is a small electrical solenoid that de energizes (releases the governor/throttle linkage to allow normal operation.
Check that the auto idle solenoid plunger and or it's associated linkage is not binding is not stuck or binding. If you disconnect the solenoid linkage from the throttle/governor linkage and the engine does not accelerate you have a mechanical governor/throttle linkage problem. See if you can operate the throttle governor linkage manually so as to move the carb throttle plate to check for binding, etc.

When the AUTO idle is operating normally, turning the AUTO switch to on WITH NO LOAD ON THE GEN the AUTO solenoid energizes and pulls (holds) the throttle to idle and if a load is placed on the gen the AUTO IDLE electrical solenoid releases electrically and lets the governor take control.
Arkie
Forum Pro

Postby plotthound » Sun Nov 06, 2016 7:49 am

thanks guys,will get this sucker running hopefully next week then check out the things that you mention. :mrgreen:
plotthound
Guide

Postby plotthound » Thu Nov 10, 2016 12:52 pm

updte: pulled the carb off and cleaned it,dan thing fired up on 2nd pull.would not bump up to fast idle thogh so I checked the govoner linkage and it was tight.so tight and bound up it would not move by hand.removed the carb again and the solenoid,govoner moved frely that was good.worked the linkage a bit and voila,broke loose whatever the bind was.reinstalled everything and this generator cycles like a champ.just need to buy the spring that goes on the govoner shaft,the end is broke off of it.this makes up for the hassles I had with the eb 4000 that I chucked to much coin into.

thanks again lads. :mrgreen:
plotthound
Guide

Postby plotthound » Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:26 pm

so I gotta resurrect my old thread.a while back we had a power outage so I drag this honda 3500x outside to put it to use.sucker fires right up but again wont idle up under load so back into the garage it goes.today I get a chance to mess with it,started it up and turned the auto idle off and it stalled.turned the auto idle back on and started it again,let it warm up then turned auto idle off.damn thing reved right up.turned auto idle back on then plugged my portable air compressor into it and up goes the idle.generator was producing good voltage and just under 60 hz.what the heck is going on???? :bricks:

thanks
plotthound
Guide

Postby Arkie » Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:26 pm

Just a hint from my experience with Honda and Honda clone gen carbs and your symptoms.
On my Honda type carbs before storage I shut off the fuel supply and let the engine run until it dies, then remove the little MM bolt in the side of the carb bowl and finish draining the gas, then leave the drain bolt out and pull off the fuel line going to the carb and send it auto xmission fluid in the fuel line until it runs out the drain hole.
Before starting the unit next time I pull the drain bolt turn fuel supply one until fuel runs out re-install the drain bolt and go.
It will smoke for just a little while then clear up.That little drain bolt will not drain all the fuel out and when the engine quits running with the petcock off a little bit of fuel remains in the bottom of the bowl and especially if it's ethanol it will get a muck gel.
You probably got to it before it got to the point of removing the bowl for a cleaning. and some of those bowls will rust and they have too be replaced, not just cleaned because the little rust particles just keep on growing and coming back after each cleaning. Go ahead and get yourself some of the bowl gaskets because you will eventually need them. sometimes you can remove the bowl clean it and use low pressure air, like 15 pounds around the lower jet area and it will re-store all ok, especially in an emergency when the gen is really needed. ;)

I converted some of the emergency gen's to (tri fuel kits) using propane using US carb kits and it dowes not clog the carbs during storage. This is on gen's that are really needed in a emergency and long term stored.
The real enemy of gens, especially gasoline type is not running them at least once a month. ;)
Arkie
Forum Pro

Postby Luffydog » Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:33 pm

Probably be the little servo has stopped but can usually be freed up has been in most of my cases
Luffydog
Forum Pro

Postby Arkie » Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:41 am

Luffydog wrote:Probably be the little servo has stopped but can usually be freed up has been in most of my cases

Yep, I missed that. :bricks:
Arkie
Forum Pro

Postby plotthound » Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:43 pm

thanks luffydogistill have not dug into this generator yet and I don't have a service manual for it yet.what is the servo and what is it connected to?
\
\ thanks :mrgreen:
plotthound
Guide

Next

Return to Technical Discussion Forum