• Advertisement

Help on 1997 Toro Commercial 3-Speed Transmission issue

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Help on 1997 Toro Commercial 3-Speed Transmission issue

Postby Seakaye12 » Mon Nov 28, 2016 4:13 pm

Hello All,

A rather nice Toro Model 22141 came my way recently. Commercial Recycler II with the B&S "Europa" engine.

It has a three-speed transmision that is stuck in N. The belt spins but of course there is no "drive". From the operators position....the left wheel free-wheels in both directions....and the right wheel turns the axle shaft when spun backwards, Forward it free-wheels. I have the parts manual but can't find a service manual and I am at a loss as to what to do next. Can anyone help?

I have included a couple of pictures just so you can see the unit; it's older but appears to not have seen a lot of commercial use.

Thanks for reading and taking your time to help me, Chuck

Seakaye12

Advertisement

Re: Help on 1997 Toro Commercial 3-Speed Transmission issue

Postby RoyM » Mon Nov 28, 2016 10:16 pm

It looks like the transmission top comes off easily, first support the deck to take weight off the wheels and remove the pulley.
Briggs and Stratton MST
RoyM
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:55 am

1997 Model

It is one those things that you simply got to just dive in and do things based on your previous knowledge of transmissions. The ability to solve puzzles will help along taking pictures as you go for later reference.

Fairly simple setup and you probably find that rust and corrosion is the culprit of the lack of movement of the shifter fork. You may need a hand reamer to clean up the corrosion of the case though hole.

Good news though as it looks like the parts are still available for it.

BTW not a lot on it in the service manual either.
Toro 22141 SM
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby Seakaye12 » Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:07 am

Thanks AVB and Roy.

I already had that manual but I wasn't sure if it pertained to the transmission on mine. They talk about a three speed transmission but it appears very different from mine. The part number for my transmission assembly is 74-1861. I think it's older than the one in the manual. I've had gearcases apart on outboards but never on a lawnmower.

Seakaye12

Postby Seakaye12 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:42 am

Who actually makes the transmission? I see cross-references to exmark. Does Exmark manufacture the unit or does Toro or is it made for them by someone else? I really hope to find better guidance before I tear into it and perhaps knowing the actual manufacturer might help me find it.

Apparently Toro purchased Exmark in 1997; coincidentally the year my mower was made.
Seakaye12

Postby wristpin » Wed Nov 30, 2016 6:26 pm

Aside from whatever you find inside the transmission , you need to sort out the drive to the left hand wheel which should behave in the same manner as the right - free wheel when turned forward and lock when turned back. probably just a sticky pawl in the wheel drive pinion.
wristpin
Forum Pro

Postby Seakaye12 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 4:19 pm

wristpin wrote:Aside from whatever you find inside the transmission , you need to sort out the drive to the left hand wheel which should behave in the same manner as the right - free wheel when turned forward and lock when turned back. probably just a sticky pawl in the wheel drive pinion.

Yes wristpin....I have already done that. The keys and springs and the gears themselves look perfect.....the one was just a tiny bit stuck. Lubed it all up and it works as you described now. Sure seems to indicate that this mower has seen relatively little use.....
Seakaye12

Postby Fulltilt » Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:44 pm

Could be made by Peerless/Tecumseh, but does it really matter? As you can see by the IPL, it's a very simple gearbox. Not much going on in there. You want to pull the trans out before u start tearing it apart, though. Pay attention to the orientation of the gear recesses on the axle shaft, don't lose any shims. You would be wise to kinda clean up the axle/gears before you actually remove anything.
You'll probably find the shift collar stuck/rusted, or the keys bent or stuck.
Simple to work on, not much different than the larger Peerless transmissions.
Make sure the grease gets to the input shaft needle bearings, sometimes the grease dries up in the shaft.
A mind is a terrible thing to waste...
Fulltilt
Guide

Postby Seakaye12 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 2:30 pm

Well Fulltilt.....you are correct. It IS a pretty simple gearbox....and the problem was indeed with the stuck keys as you said. I cleaned everything up and put it all back together and it is working as intended now. Thanks for your reply.
Seakaye12

Return to Technical Discussion Forum