• Advertisement

String Trimmer and the like fuel line replacement

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

String Trimmer and the like fuel line replacement

Postby KE4AVB » Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:53 pm

Until recently I have always installed the fuel lines by cutting the line on an angle and inserting them from outside and using forceps to pull the line into tank and then pulled to the desired length and cut.

While on Perr discussing about a rather hard to install fuel lines, a couple users suggested pulling the fuel line from the inside with a wire loop. I am glad to report that I had my first opportunity this week to try this idea using wire from one of my repair tags. It involved still cutting an angle end on the fuel line and making a small hole to receive the wire (I use a large sewing needle); of course, the wire needs looping and twisting to secure it.

When I try pulling the fuel line through fuel line tank holes; went so smoothly I wonder why I haven't try this before. It made what took me 15 minutes to get done just a few minutes long. The only problem I had was I need to line right before installing as to cut down on wasted line.

I believe from my experience we can benefit from this easier installation method. Many thanks those that suggest this idea.
Last edited by KE4AVB on Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: String Trimmer and the like fuel replacement

Postby okie » Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:39 pm

KE
That sounds good====Good enough for the mods to start a Tip Thread they have been talking about. :D :D

Travis :usa:
John 3:16
okie
Forum Pro

Postby TwoCycle » Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:23 pm

The big box store near me sells a Homelite/Ryobi fuel line repair kit that includes purge bulb, fuel hoses, fuel filter, and a 'sneaky pete' installation tool. Curved piece of thick stainless wire with a 180 degree hook on one end and a finger ring on the other end. The fuel hoses are already tapered and have the hole for the tool. This tool is designed for tanks that have the fill cap on the opposite end from the fuel hose openings. Works on different configuration tanks as well.

For units that the above tool won't fit due to the smaller diameter tank hole, The tag wire method works wonders.
TwoCycle

Postby bgsengine » Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:49 pm

okie wrote:KE
That sounds good====Good enough for the mods to start a Tip Thread they have been talking about. :D :D

Travis :usa:

Great idea - KE4 outta take some photos on the next one he does, write it up and get the tech tips pages off to a good start! :)
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Re: String Trimmer and the like fuel line replacement

Postby hillsider » Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:48 pm

I don't wish to appear negative here but as most helpful replies contain a tip or two so it could make things more difficult than they need to be if the helpful suggestions are spread around the forum.
hillsider

Postby bgsengine » Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:55 pm

hillsider wrote:I don't wish to appear negative here but as most helpful replies contain a tip or two so it could make things more difficult than they need to be if the helpful suggestions are spread around the forum.

Oh yeah the tips and suggestions will still be in the forum
- but then on some things that are often done (and *often repeated time and again*) it is nice for regulars to be able to just link direct to the tip or procedure involved, rather than A) Re-Typing it for the Umpteenth time, or B) Searching forums trying to remember which one of hundreds of posts has the specific information you want. - Tips and stuff would stay here as usual, but then a detailed web page (linked from home page directory) where we can just go to home page, scroll down to the tip (categorized, indexed) and link to it in the post - much faster to make informative replies that way and then if needed, further discussion of it. (possibly leading to revisions of the page)

Some people don't mind explaining over and over how to do something, but then there's the busy professionals that can just point to a link or page, and have done with it.
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby Skywatcher » Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:26 pm

Hi All

When threading small fuel line, I'll usually feed line directly from the box or roll, attach the filter then pull the line back and cut to length, reduces waste to a minimum. The trick we were taught at a Homelite school was to use an 18" length of hard wire like piano wire folded in half with a starter grip attached to the loose ends. Push the folded end through the fuel line opening and out through the fuel filler opening. Thread the fuel line through the fold and pull the wire back through the tank.

I have found this method to have about a 60% success rate as the fuel line is often cut as it's pulled through the small opening. Think I'll give KE4's tip a try next time, just have to figure out how long the fuel line should be and cut it before installing. All the best,

Sky
A person who sees Quality and feels it as he works is a person who cares.
A person who cares about what he sees and does is a person who's bound to have some characteristics of Quality.
Robert M. Pirsig. (Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance)
Skywatcher
Forum Pro

Location: Southern Alberta. Where the wheatlands meet the Range.

Return to Technical Discussion Forum