• Advertisement

permanent fixes LOL

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

permanent fixes LOL

Postby 38racing » Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:16 pm

So on the yardmachines I was checking the steering shaft. MTD never used any bushing in the dash for supporting the shaft at the steering wheel. Shaft just in plastic which is maybe 3/16 in thick. So hole is oval now. Was going to pull steering wheel but retaining nut was all rusted. Impact solved that. Broke it off. Then realized it shouldn't have been a nut, that wheel is held on by a bolt into the shaft. So I look closer and I see this gray stuff under the wheel on shaft. Maybe the wheel spline went? Does JB weld look like caulking after curing? Wheel is on shaft with some hard gray stuff that may have been soft at one time but good and hard right now. Pretty sure that wheel is staying on. So if I want to add a bushing I would need to cut shaft, replace it and I have a spare wheel. I'm thinking of leaving it but dash area around shaft might be big enough to bolt on 2 washer halves to put zero play back in top end of shaft.
38racing
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: permanent fixes LOL

Postby KE4AVB » Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:07 am

Depends on how well it is mixed. Personally I never had it to work very well on anything.

I hate to see things like this. I had a Murray that use needing the lower shaft replaced. They took electrical conduit lock nuts bugger welded them in place then install a section of brass pipe. Either of which was needed as the bushing is still available but it cost twice in materials than the OEM bushing. It would took me two hours grind out and remake the bushing holes just so I cold install the correct bushing.

I one carburetor where another shop had used JB weld to repair it; didn't last long as had to replace the carburetor as the JB weld had migrated into the metering passages. I had Robin engine this year that previous nut case had disabled the governor because they had lost the spring (Actually fence wire was used). No wonder they couldn't get it to idle. Then there one that came complaining about push mower shaking badly. They duct taped the blade on.

Some people should never ever allowed to even touch a piece of equipment, it is just taxes the brain too much (overloads it).
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby okie » Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:38 am

KE4AVB wrote:Depends on how well it is mixed. Personally I never had it to work very well on anything.

. Then there one that came complaining about push mower shaking badly. They duct taped the blade on.

Some people should never ever allowed to even touch a piece of equipment
, it is just taxes the brain too much (overloads it).

That just about sums it up.

okie
John 3:16
okie
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:23 am

Sorry about being critical here. I just showing frustration at seeing poorly done work. For me at least I take pride in doing things right even when modifications are needed. I had get to the shop to upload these two photos via bluetooth. The one on the right is of the best side of steering bushing area, the other was even worse. Notice the weedeater air box used on a larger mower engine on the one on the left along with field fence wire.
Image Image
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:26 pm

I saved the steering wheel. Had I been more patient I could have saved the shaft. I cut it when I saw the amount of rust on the splines at the wheel but once wheel was off the splines in the wheel were ok. I placate myself by saying bottom end is worn.
38racing
Forum Pro

Return to Technical Discussion Forum