• Advertisement

JD 737, no spark

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

JD 737, no spark

Postby Mr Mower Man » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:56 am

I had a John Deere 737 zero turn come in to the shop for a bad engine oil leak. It ran fine. So the first thing I did was thoroughly wash the engine off with my pressure washer (it was filthy), so I could run it and determine where the leaks are. That was last night. Early this afternoon, I can't get the thing to run. I tested the ignition with a spark tester, and there's no spark. Circumstances suggest that my pressure washing caused some kind of problem. When I first tried starting it, I heard some "pops" coming from inside the engine, which is often what happens when I wash off a unit. But as I continued to try to start it, those noises stopped, which is why I tested for spark. And sure enough, she's dead. Any ideas as to why? Pressure washing has caused me inconveniences before, but never a real problem.
Mr Mower Man
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: JD 737, no spark

Postby bgsengine » Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:25 pm

Engine numbers and make might be helpful . I assume Kawasaki?
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby RoyM » Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:25 pm

Check for water around the electrical connections, the ignition is grounding.
Briggs and Stratton MST
RoyM
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:22 pm

bgsengine wrote:Engine numbers and make might be helpful . I assume Kawasaki?

Yelp it is Kawasaki and most likely the FH680D. A pain to pull the engine shroud just like the FH721D on the 757 I got in the shop now that needs the crank seals replaced. I pulling the engine tomorrow so I can get my puller on the flywheel. Just waiting to see if the customer is willing for me order a $350 new PTO clutch on it or if they want to go JD buy theirs at $450. Bearing failure.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby Mr Mower Man » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:33 pm

RoyM wrote:Check for water around the electrical connections, the ignition is grounding.

Yes, you were right. Later today, it fired right up. The water must have been grounding the ignition, and it needed a few more hours to dry out.
Mr Mower Man
Forum Pro

Postby Mr Mower Man » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:38 pm

bgsengine wrote:Engine numbers and make might be helpful .

Yeah, that's what I thought too, but I couldn't find any numbers on the engine. It is a Kawasaki horizontal shaft, and it's 23 HP, but that's all I know about it.

I had a JD ZTR kinda like this in the shop before, and I ended up replacing both crank seals and the crankcase gasket, which was also leaking. It looks like this one has a couple of leaking crank seals, but the crankcase gasket seems to be OK this time.
Mr Mower Man
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:29 am

Mr Mower Man wrote:
bgsengine wrote:Engine numbers and make might be helpful .

Yeah, that's what I thought too, but I couldn't find any numbers on the engine. It is a Kawasaki horizontal shaft, and it's 23 HP, but that's all I know about it.

I had a JD ZTR kinda like this in the shop before, and I ended up replacing both crank seals and the crankcase gasket, which was also leaking. It looks like this one has a couple of leaking crank seals, but the crankcase gasket seems to be OK this time.

This seems to be a common thing of the crank seals leaking on these. All but one of the 737, 757, and 925A mowers that I am servicing here has the crank seals replaced recently. If one is leaking go ahead and replace both them or the engine will be back with the other one leaking fairly quickly. I keep a couple sets on hand so I don't need to run JD if I need an engine out quickly. My regular vendors is about a week out on parts for the Kawasaki parts.

The engine is either FH680D-BS04 , CS04, or DS04. And no I haven't seen a sticker any of them either as to which spec they are.

SEALS
92049-7010 (M149281) Flywheel
92049-7022 (MIU11104) PTO
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Return to Technical Discussion Forum