• Advertisement

AM MTD Spindles

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

AM MTD Spindles

Postby KE4AVB » Fri Jun 02, 2017 3:34 pm

Just wondering how the new 3 point blade mount based on the Rotary design is working with the H pattern blade mounting holes? My vendor has switch on me to these 3 point spindle shafts and they don't look reliable for holding the H pattern blades. I either need to spindles or 6 point blades MTD.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: AM MTD Spindles

Postby bgsengine » Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:18 pm

KE4AVB wrote: My vendor has switch on me to these 3 point spindle shafts

Then I would switch vendors - the 6 point blades won't fit a bowtie mount and vice-versa - 2 different part numbers.
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby KE4AVB » Fri Jun 02, 2017 5:18 pm

bgsengine wrote:
KE4AVB wrote: My vendor has switch on me to these 3 point spindle shafts

Then I would switch vendors - the 6 point blades won't fit a bowtie mount and vice-versa - 2 different part numbers.

Might be misunderstanding what I am saying let see these pictures help.

These blades have been working fine on the 6 point spindle shafts.

It is the new 3 point Rotary Spindles shafts that I having problems with the new blades above working on.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby bgsengine » Fri Jun 02, 2017 6:53 pm

Yep.. I would not even use them - seeing how hard a lot of mowers around here are run even with the OEM spindles - have seen way too many that the spindle hub was sheared away and blade spinning freely on the shaft (as soon as nut is loosened) - I'd not even use a spindle like that. makes no sense to me why they would just go to the 3 points as 6..
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby hanz63 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 6:55 pm

Dirty buggers. Those shafts should go back. If it helps and you don't have a good OEM source, Oregon MTD blades have changed to the 6 star. So same center as OEM
hanz63
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:23 pm

hanz63 wrote:Dirty buggers. Those shafts should go back. If it helps and you don't have a good OEM source, Oregon MTD blades have changed to the 6 star. So same center as OEM

Yelp my vendor was trying to sneak them in on me but I had already ran into the shafts so ask questions before buying and my suspicion was right. I just can't change in mid this year to something as I already got this year's blades. Went out check one I got weeks ago and it was the three point; not happy about the sneaky trick.

Now with a 6 point blade then the spindle would work. Even then definitely need to torque 80ft-lbs. Now the blade design above I have been using and selling since 2010 without problem it just they only have one solid contact point on the new aftermarket spindle shaft. Note these are made by Rotary so be careful buying spindles and blades as match them up.

I really hate to give up my heat treated blades just because of junky spindles. I even brought a couple AM spindle shafts that were 6 point a few years ago but each point was under cut so they could shear easily.

I am definitely giving my vendor my thoughts about what they were trying to do to me and my customers.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby Luffydog » Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:34 pm

I have seen both do what Bg is talking about. A lot of times they get worn on the star patterns and won't fit just right and if your looking the blades right setting on top of the star and not in the blades pattern. Which will work loose and not turn the blades then it's new spindle and new blade time
Luffydog
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Sat Jun 03, 2017 3:12 am

I do see stars and blades messed up but the ones that are giving the most problems in that area for me is the AYP/Husqvarna 5 point. I don't see it happening to blades that I mount but I do make sure every one is on the stars correctly, hand tighten the mounting bolts while double checking, and finally torque to 55-65 ft-lbs.

Even with the thicker heat treated blades the blades are being bent severely and the stars are still intact. I do see a few stripped double hex spindle pulleys but again it the lack of proper torquing. This stripping even happens on the single hex used by JD and it from the pulley not being tighten. Of course with either one I end replacing the spindle shafts too.

For most my customers blade damage is from hitting Bradford pear and other tree roots which why I was using the XTH blades plus they are wearing a lot less when compare to the other blades. At least I had been since '10, now I got change things around due the new aftermarket spindles hitting the area. Now I will even blades in stock as will need six point blade for those three point spindle shafts. I don't like the OEM as they are thinner and wear rapidly. At least it looks like I might be able to get ahead of the problem this time. I will be checking out the specs on the Oregon suggested blades.

A good example that I had to come in is where I install of blades, the customer bent one, replace it with similar looking Primeline blade. The Primeline was bent which why I was replace it and spindle shaft due to improper mounting. The XHT blade was on the mower for 2 years and the Primeline for about one year. The Primeline was worn twice as much as the XHT blade. Actually done had a split tip.

That same customer came in today with one blade not cutting. It turned out to be a spindle pulley that broken out around the double hex. It actually looks a separate washer with the double hex mostly in tact. First pulley I seen that way. I haven't install one of the 61804474A pulleys since I changed accounting systems over 3 yrs ago. I will see if I can get an image of it in the morning.

I might add this particular customer is very rough on that little 38" Bolens. The deck itself is terrible shape and I have straight and welded it several times. He even broke off the operator station.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Sat Jun 03, 2017 6:56 am

What I am seeing from a design point of view is the "H" Hole blades when use the six point star have only two solid drive points but is locked in fairly solid as when impacts happens two points are also in play. Now if the same blade is used on the three point star then there is only solid one contact with star in each direction. This appears to reduce things from 1/3 to 1/6 solid contact so going greatly increase the chance of shearing. There is a couple other contact points, just not what I call solid contacts.

Now if the three point spindle is used with the 6 point blade then solid contacts goes up to 1/2 from 1/3 as you would be engaging three points in each direction. You do lose three contacts completely with three point spindle shaft.

From this I can see both bad and good from this design, just got to use the six point blades with the Rotary or there can be high chance of damages. I not saying it is bad design it is just you got to use the right combination and I just wanted to give a heads on this potential problem that we will run into. I would have said might but I have already ran into this.

All I know is that I am going to need to double MTD blade inventory for a while as I work back to the 6 point star. I also need ask what type spindle star the customer is getting the blades for when just come in for blades now.

I wish the manufactures would all get on the same page but I know they won't but darn it makes hard to keep up with the changes as to have items on hand instead of ordering every time I need an item. It like the OEMs are now just wanting to sell complete spindles; don't even list individual parts in the IPLs anymore. It is a lot harder to stock different spindle combinations than the individual parts for me at least.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby Luffydog » Sat Jun 03, 2017 7:58 am

Yes sorry when I said star pattern that is the five point and they tend to round the start off. Mostly on Troybilt and husquvarna. Have u seen the magnetic blades yet on the husquvarna units? Like you said due to improper install and torq. They r called the rapid replace
Luffydog
Forum Pro

Next

Return to Technical Discussion Forum