• Advertisement

smart switch

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

smart switch

Postby bluemower » Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:07 am

EXPERTS!

A two year old Craftsman 917.204030 came into the shop a few days ago. This is the larger garden tractor with the bigger tires and a 54 inch deck. This is equipped with the Husqvarna smart switch. The smart switch uses a coded keypad to start the engine and control other functions. After entering the correct code, a blue light is displayed in the starter button. When pressing the starter button, the light should turn green and the engine should start. Unfortunately, the light flashes to green and turns off. The Parking light and the Pto light illuminates indicating faults. The engine does not crank.

Prior to bringing the equipment into the shop, the owner performed an ohm test on the pedal switch and the pto switch. He ordered a new smart switch ($230.00) and installed without correcting the problem. The electrical diagram shows components, but not a wiring schematic.

I performed the following initial checks:
1. brake pedal safety switch - this has two circuits, however, only one circuit is used. I found continuity between two spades when the pedal is depressed.
2. PTO switch has three rows of spades, however only the center row of three spades is used. In the off position, the two outer spades are connected. When the switch is pulled out, one outer spade and the center spade is connected.
3. The operator presence switch is located under the seat. There are 4 spades on this switch. Two of the wires are tied together. I have not tested this since I do not know what to look for.
4. There is apparently a wire and switch under the transmission area. I suspect this senses reverse operation. I have not tested this until I can pull the deck to access.

5. The control wire was removed from the starter relay and a battery jumper wire touched to the exposed spade. The engine starter immediately engaged. I did not continue or attempt to start the engine.

Out friend at the Husqvarna dealer told me they are experiencing a lot of problems and headaches with this. He stated there is a six page trouble shooting guide for this.

Any ideas?
bluemower
Guide

Advertisement

Re: smart switch

Postby KE4AVB » Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:28 am

Here is the wiring diagram.

http://c.searspartsdirect.com/lis_png/PLDM/1411335P-00011.png

The seat switch mostly likely contains a shorting strip to prevent the operator from unplugging the seat switch.

The rest of ipl is at http://www.searspartsdirect.com/model-number/917204030/0247/1509200.html?searchType=modelSearch&q=917.204030&searchTerm=917.204030
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby Fulltilt » Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:45 am

bluemower wrote:EXPERTS!
Out friend at the Husqvarna dealer told me they are experiencing a lot of problems and headaches with this. He stated there is a six page trouble shooting guide for this.

Any ideas?

Well, the SMART ( get it ? ) thing to do would be to get your paws on a copy of that T.S. Guide, right ?
GOOGLE it, or hit your buddy up for a copy, or at least the part # of the guide.
Might be on the Husqvarna website.

Study the wiring diagram.
A mind is a terrible thing to waste...
Fulltilt
Guide

Postby KE4AVB » Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:19 pm

Serve with a side order of 30 day Ban for unprofessional attitude.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:00 pm

Why do they have to make these systems so complicated. Just so only dealers can fix them? $230 for a blinking part. In the IPL picture is 30 for switch. Listed are 30a at 209$ and 30b at 138$. I assume it uses one or the other, not both?
That 209$ switch would cost me $345 here in Canada. even getting it from USA would be $305 $CDN plus shipping. Just plain crazy.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:22 pm

Probably surface technology and sealed in epoxy to make it waterproof. I don't know why there is two switches listed either.

And yes it a little ridiculous to be that expensive but we are at their lack of mercy; give me simple key switch any day.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:44 pm

Maybe these picture of the switches might explain things as they are wired completely differently.

KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby bobodu » Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:04 pm

Jesus...I miss the days when all you had to worry about was not putting out one of the kids eyes with the knot on the end of the starter rope...
"Give me a fast ship, for I intend to go into harm's way."
bobodu
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby hanz63 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:20 pm

So, this has been a year for me at least. For starters, what have you used for the code? I know there is a default code in the manual, but I'd have to dig to see what it is. When the customer changes the code, there is a procedure - but I am drawing a blank at the moment. I don't think that the code reverts after the switch being unplugged either. My apologies if I'm being captain obvious here.
hanz63
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:38 pm

The basic operation and reset procedures are in the Husqvarna Smart Switch document I got in the Husqvarna downloads. Much easier to read than trying to find it in the operator manual.

Yes there is a default code and no it doesn't reset if simply unplugged. Requires pressing and holding two buttons for at least 3 seconds. The procedure is described in the document mention above.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Next

Return to Technical Discussion Forum