• Advertisement

gcv160 issues

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

gcv160 issues

Postby 38racing » Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:19 pm

Ok, after my last post in the other thread I pulled valve cover and checked valves . A few thou over so I readjusted. The manual said two marks on the timing belt wheel would be parallel to the block at TDC. Didn't see any such marks so I used a straw in the plug hole.It ran just the same, it died if I opened the choke and ran with it partially closed.I researched further to make sure I had right carb gasket setup. I removed and disassembled carb once again. This is the new carb that I bought. Blew everything with carb cleaner and air. I used a new gasket between block and insulator and a new air guide gasket between insulator and carb. Back together and it runs perfect again. Fuel lines are new so maybe I will flush the tank.
I'm still a bit confused on engine number.
I am pretty sure it reads GJARA 198.....(paper downstairs) S3AI. There is definitely a character after the S3A. It's like this .
This site
http://www.hondalawnparts.com/pages/oem ... and=HONENG has good choice of models for lookup but I find S3A only in both GJAEA and GJARA series but never with a 4th character.
Google at one point showed a link with S3AI to a no longer available ad on kijiji so someone else is reading like me. If the I means nothing for parts lookup then what purpose does it serve?
38racing
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: gcv160 issues

Postby KE4AVB » Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:49 pm

Now with a different type number you got a different engine from the STL1 previously posted.

Type number is most likely a S3AL making your engine a GCV160A0. I believe you're reading the L (letter L) as a 1( number one).

Using the following website you should be able to figure out things.
http://www.honda-engines-eu.com/spare-parts-page
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:11 pm

KE4AVB wrote:Now with a different type number you got a different engine from the STL1 previously posted.
Yes, neighbour's engine is the STL1. That's why I started a separate thread, to deal with my engine.

Type number is most likely a S3AL making your engine a GCV160A0. I believe you're reading the L (letter L) as a 1( number one).
I don't see how
would be an L. Those dots are actual centred over each other. Also wondering if the A0 at the end of the GCV160 should actual show on the engine somewhere.

Using the following website you should be able to figure out things.
http://www.honda-engines-eu.com/spare-parts-page
Site has lots but it wants the gcv160 with the A0 or whatever before it lists the types to pick. Funny too I used it's first option of the GJARA plus serial number and no serial number seems to match. Going to fool around a bit more. Been away babysitting today and fixed a couple mowers while there. I was pleased that an old lawnboy that I got going for a friend a couple years back and then went unused by him still started. So will see if my honda still runs tomorrow . Maybe I'll flush tank before trying it.

Also a bit confusing is that IPLs for all engines show same carb picture. But then the part list will show what your engine uses. For example the picture shows reference 14 as a air guide with gaskets on each side. reference 26 however is an air guide without those gaskets. In the number list it will have only what your engine uses. In my case there is no reference 14 in the list but there is a 26. In trying some other engine numbers 14 was there and 26 was not or both but with serial number range for each.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:14 am

After looking at a GCV190 here that could be a terminator character which is not part of the type destination. Sorry to add even more to confusing mess.

Here what the terminator on the 190 is like

So yours could a Japanese asterisk (※).

I wish manufactures would stick one style of coding but maybe they like driving us bananas.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Return to Technical Discussion Forum