• Advertisement

bad installer?

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

bad installer?

Postby 38racing » Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:12 pm

Me. I was putting a tube into 20x10-8 tire. I didn't pre-inflate. After putting it in and inflating to 20 psi air started flowing out. I had ripped stem based from the tube. Using hindsight I inflated enough to see orientation of the stem. I'm guessing that I installed it with stem on opposite side from stem hole in rim. lesson learned.
38racing
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: bad installer?

Postby RoyM » Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:58 pm

You will file that one away for future reference. :P It's all part of the learning curve, I hated that job on small tires.
Briggs and Stratton MST
RoyM
Forum Pro

Postby Luffydog » Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:42 pm

There's a saying about the blue stripe on most tubes and that saying is the tree blue down.
Luffydog
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:20 pm

For me I just unfold them and the stem is usually stick up on one side and that is side put to valve stem hole. I haven't seen no stripe on the Carlisle tubes I am installing.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby bgsengine » Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:00 pm

KE4AVB wrote:For me I just unfold them and the stem is usually stick up on one side and that is side put to valve stem hole. I haven't seen no stripe on the Carlisle tubes I am installing.

Same here. unfold and side that stem sticks up naturally when laid out flat is the side that goes to the stem hole

ALso word of advice if you dont have a tube *exactly* the size for the tire, err on the next larger size available - too small, and the stem can pull back inside the tire after fully inflated and you have to stick a hole in the tube to get it back apart.

So if you have a 20x10.00-8 and someone tries to sell you a 18x8.50/9.50-8 with "its an 8 inch rim and the tube expands" I'd suggest walking away from that deal :)
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby KE4AVB » Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:50 pm

bgsengine wrote:So if you have a 20x10.00-8 and someone tries to sell you a 18x8.50/9.50-8 with "its an 8 inch rim and the tube expands" I'd suggest walking away from that deal :)

Hmmm. I have been the following in the 20 x 10.00-8 tires since '09. Just got hold the stem until inflated.

The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby bgsengine » Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:25 pm

Yeah . I dislike those .. It does not happen all that often, but it has happened enough - typically on more uncommon rim designs .. but after trying the fit and finish of the Oregon tubes (they have a much wider variety of specific sizes) I've never had that issue come up - Problem is usually when the tubes end up getting soft (over time or tiny pinholes from rosebushes, etc) and then the stem slips inside the rim (or when someone tries to air it up and pushes the stem in) since the tube does not have enough surface area to fully contact the tire

I change many of them at the shop after they buy an 18.8.50/9.50-8 at the local hardware store (because they are so much cheaper than the $20.00 20x10.00-8 tubes) and then (in some cases after 3 or 4 times of it happening) they bring the tire to me to see if I can solve the problem.
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby 38racing » Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:26 pm

My mistake, it was 20x8-8 tire.
I got this tube
http://www.bantasaw.com/catalog/viewpro ... 554&p=4567
and it had the fully thread stem with a nut to prevent drawback. Much easier than the hose clamps that I've used in the past.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:27 am

I have seen a few of those...

Thinking on the tube failure you just got a bad tube too. I about 10 yrs ago I got two bad tubes at the same time from a local tire shop for my tractor. They were dry rotted. I return to the store and their stock of that size were all bad except two new tubes they just got in. They were exchanged without question. Frustrating but it does happens when someone forget to rotate the stock which why I date my for the received in stock time so I always pull the oldest ones first, Plus only keep a couple of each of the most used size. Now I do buy the 15's in lots of ten as I go thru them quite regularly.

And BGS it not rose thorns that get most tire and tubes here but those dang Bradford pear tree thorns. Their roots also take out a lot blades. I install 2 tubes and within a month both had to be patched. Tubes are no match for 1" thorns. These Bradford's are more trouble than they worth to home owners but good for the repair business. ;)

The local electric company wanted to cut back mine by 2/3 and I ask if they could just remove them completely. They volunteer to do at no cost to me and they took out 24 of them. No more having to clean up down limbs every week but I do miss their shade.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby Arkie » Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:04 am

AND sometimes you just have to accept the fact that the valve stems holes in the small tubeless tire rims are not located in the correct place on the rim to properly locate the valve stem when installing a tube. :( :cry: :bricks:

and then by the time you have determined that you spent enough money, sweat and labor trying to install a new tube into one of those little tubeless rims with the stem hole in wrong place for your new tube you should have bought a new tubeless tire especially on the little ones. :( :cry: :bricks:
Arkie
Forum Pro

Next

Return to Technical Discussion Forum