• Advertisement

bad installer?

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Re: bad installer?

Postby StarTech » Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:41 am

Arkie don't you just love those little 4" rims used on some of the ZTRs. They just don't hold air very well without tubes and by the time they get here the rims will not seal even with new tires. They not too bad to open up with a tire changer but older ones can be a pain getting open and then back on due lack stretch of the old rubber.

I brought one those little tire changers from HFT and works about half the time. New tires it works great but with older tires not so much as I still need a screwdriver to finish getting the tires back on. Still better then nothing. With older tire the key is using some oil on the bead to make slide on easier.
StarTech

Postby NO0C » Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:54 am

Knowing how well oil and rubber coexist, dish washing soap or Ru-Glyde would be a better choice for lubricant.

Starfire One wrote:With older tire the key is using some oil on the bead to make slide on easier.
NO0C
Forum Pro

Postby bgsengine » Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:55 am

Yeah - actually I have a homemade tire changer built from scrap pieces or metal laying around the shop.. it bolts to the wall and folds up out of the way. works better than any "store bought" tire changer I have ever used in my 30-plus years of being in this business. :)

As for those tiny 4" tires, I have been looking into possibly doing foam filled - eliminate flats altogether.
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby KE4AVB » Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:24 am

NO0C wrote:Knowing how well oil and rubber coexist, dish washing soap or Ru-Glyde would be a better choice for lubricant.

Starfire One wrote:With older tire the key is using some oil on the bead to make slide on easier.

I would be very careful using the Ru-Glyde which contain 2.25% Ethylene glycol (Primary ingredient in Antifreeze). This product has a Cat 4 rating for oral and inhalation hazard.

Yes Ethylene Glycol will make rubber very slippery. I prefer soap myself but as Star said there have a few times I had to use oil too; neither of which I consider as hazardous as antifreeze.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby NO0C » Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:39 am

The MSDS sheet from their website rates it at a Cat 2 and 1.28% EG. That's the ready to use version.
NO0C
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:53 am

I must be looking at a different ready to use version. The info I have is on the RG18 One gallon ready to use.

The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby Arkie » Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:54 am

bgsengine wrote:Yeah - actually I have a homemade tire changer built from scrap pieces or metal laying around the shop.. it bolts to the wall and folds up out of the way. works better than any "store bought" tire changer I have ever used in my 30-plus years of being in this business. :)

As for those tiny 4" tires, I have been looking into possibly doing foam filled - eliminate flats altogether.

Me too thinking about foam filled. I seen some front tires awhile back on a Kubota 4x4 tractor that were foam filled and I told the guy he needs to think about replacing those front tires because I can see the air inside. ;)

I also have a homemade redneck tire changer for the small garden tractor tires that works easily and saves a lot of sweat and grief breaking down the small tires. I have several different sizes of steel pipe that is just little bit larger in diameter than the steel rim, set the pipe over the rim on the tire, jack it down in a press and use liquid soap around the bead if it don't break down just let it sit for few minutes with pressure and it will give up. The pipe is just long enough that when the tire breaks down the upper end of the pipe cross piece does not contact the upper part of the rim.

I have a piece of heavy flat bar steel laid on top of the press pipe that the jack sits on so as I can see to center the pipe centered onto the rim as pressure is applied and also allows applying soap as the tire compresses.

Works great but not OSHA approved. :popcorn:
Arkie
Forum Pro

Postby Arkie » Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:01 am

KE4AVB wrote:
NO0C wrote:Knowing how well oil and rubber coexist, dish washing soap or Ru-Glyde would be a better choice for lubricant.

I would be very careful using the Ru-Glyde which contain 2.25% Ethylene glycol (Primary ingredient in Antifreeze). This product has a Cat 4 rating for oral and inhalation hazard.

Yes Ethylene Glycol will make rubber very slippery. I prefer soap myself but as Star said there have a few times I had to use oil too; neither of which I consider as hazardous as antifreeze.

Speaking of antifreeze hazard: I spilled some of the Toyota Orange (Al Gore environmentally safe stuff) onto a patch of Bermuda grass awhile back, it killed the grass within 3 days and and I'm not sure that grass is going to even try and grow back for quite awhile. The ground is dead. I think I could have used this $14 a gallon antifreeze as brush spray. I thought Al Gore said this stuff was safe even for cats and dogs to drink.
I did not have any idea the Orange Toyota OEM antifreeze was that strong and not safe, but again I do not trust most anything now days that might be breathed or absorbed into the skin. :o
Arkie
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:37 pm

So it not so environmentally friendly then. It getting to where you can't trust anything they said about what they selling. So many outright lies... I would trust my fellow techs here before I would trust an salesman.

That sorta like the 2-4-D I use. Farmers are scared to death of it as affects their cotton so much. I use it all the time here. The problem is there two versions. One is highly volatile and the other not so much. The ester version will flash off if the temps are even around 80F and kills any broad leaf plant up to 1/4 mile or further away depending on the plant type. The anime (salt based) version usually stays where it is applied. The anime is higher priced so the local co-ops tend to push the ester version. I nearly wiped out my peach orchard because they sold the ester.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Sat May 18, 2019 9:10 am

I should have revisited this thread last night. Friend needs a tube in his 20x8-8 tire. I thought that I had one but it was the 18 x8.5/9.50 -8. When I looked online for tube I saw the ones mentioned here that claim to fit 18 and 20 so late cool night i decided to install the one I had. Bad idea. No blue line (or I needed better light doing it outside). I pre inflated and thought i had it right but didn't hold stem and it went inside. Assuming i had it backwards I reversed it. I held stem this time and course ripped it out.
Wife says i shouldn't have started working on it so late at night. Won't have right tube unless wed pm. Monday holiday here in Canada. Furnace running mid May. Only grass I've cut is testing pushmowers. Just woke up from dream. Guy is locked in garage facing the big door. He laughs because he just needs to pull the side wires to unlatch it. Dorr rolls up to reveal another door and when he rools it then another door. Then I decided it was time to get out of bed.
38racing
Forum Pro

PreviousNext

Return to Technical Discussion Forum