• Advertisement

bad installer?

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Re: bad installer?

Postby Arkie » Sat May 18, 2019 11:05 am

You may know this, but some of them lawnmower, lawn tractor rims have the tubeless valve stem mounted in a location on the rim that a inner tube valve stem will not align with when the tube is inflated. Have to drill a hole in the proper location for the inner tube stem and then sometimes this will also place the valve stem on the inside of the rim when mounted on the mower. Place a piece or tow of duct tape over the removed tubeless stem hole.

Inner tubes are not cheap now days and labor involved installing one is sometimes sweaty and disgusting. :(

I try to use the Carlisle brand inner tubes and a straight stem is a TR13. I think the bent stem is TR87.

I tried some of the cheaper inner tubes from flea bay and they are not worth the effort. Usually the rubber is too hard and they will split easily when air is added. :oops:
Arkie
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Sat May 18, 2019 11:24 am

Arkie wrote:You may know this, but some of them lawnmower, lawn tractor rims have the tubeless valve stem mounted in a location on the rim that a inner tube valve stem will not align with when the tube is inflated. Have to drill a hole in the proper location for the inner tube stem and then sometimes this will also place the valve stem on the inside of the rim when mounted on the mower. Place a piece or tow of duct tape over the removed tubeless stem hole.

Inner tubes are not cheap now days and labor involved installing one is sometimes sweaty and disgusting. :(

I try to use the Carlisle brand inner tubes and a straight stem is a TR13. I think the bent stem is TR87.

I tried some of the cheaper inner tubes from flea bay and they are not worth the effort. Usually the rubber is too hard and they will split easily when air is added. :oops:

A lot of mtd have stem inside on front wheels . not sure if rear one i did last year was in or out. This one is an ariens with stem outside.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Sat May 18, 2019 7:10 pm

I reckon I have been lucky so far as I haven't ripped a valve stem. I just the tubes are offset valve stem wise. So far the hardest to get right is those 16" JD tire where stem is so far off center. Of course when I install the tubes I use my valve core wrench to hold the stem while mounting the tire then hold side pressure on the stem until fully inflated.

I normally use Carlisle and Martin Tire with a few Kenda tubes. Martin usually has the odd sizes with TR13 that I need from time to time. I don't like the TR87 or TR87P stems, A pain to the tubes in place. I definitely stay from those cheap China tubes as Arkie said tends to split and they are hard to patch too.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Sat May 18, 2019 10:30 pm

My wife said I was foolish to start the job that late at night. She was right of course. This morning I checked my parts mowers and found a Murray with good tire. I actually used the Murray rim. The ariens had two spacers on inside. I removed one and cut a shorter one for outside to position tire to same location from chassis centre.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Sat May 25, 2019 6:00 pm

Just learned another lesson, a day late. I have mower with a tire that I tubed last year and it's losing air. Other side is still tubeless. Before cutting I aired up the leaker and just a little in the tubeless one to match. After 2 rounds I look down and see the tubeless one is off the rim. So I tubed it. No more cutting as it started to rain. Next day I go out and leaking one is way soft again. So I pulled the tube. Leaks were caused by rusty steel pieces covering a section of tube. Lesson learned is to clean the rims properly before tubing which I didn't do the day before so fingers crossed for the left side.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Sat May 25, 2019 6:25 pm

Yelp a good power steel brush and a new coat rust stop paint is always needed especially if the tire slime had been used. BTW I hate tire slime because of rust damage. Also don't forget for foreign objects sticking thru tire which will puncture the tube.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby Arkie » Sat May 25, 2019 7:30 pm

38racing wrote:Just learned another lesson, a day late. I have mower with a tire that I tubed last year and it's losing air. Other side is still tubeless. Before cutting I aired up the leaker and just a little in the tubeless one to match. After 2 rounds I look down and see the tubeless one is off the rim. So I tubed it. No more cutting as it started to rain. Next day I go out and leaking one is way soft again. So I pulled the tube. Leaks were caused by rusty steel pieces covering a section of tube. Lesson learned is to clean the rims properly before tubing which I didn't do the day before so fingers crossed for the left side.

Do not feel like the lone ranger. I've been working on small lawn tractor tires most all day, removing tires and tubes and cleaning rusty rims for prime/paint. Usually if a tube is in a tubeless tire and it keeps going flat, time to break down and install a good tubeless tire. NEW inner tubes are not cheap now days and if you do not install it yourself most tire shops will charge at least $10 for ATV or lawn tractor tires due to amount of labor involved and price of a new tube plus price of install labor can equal or exceed price of a new tubeless tire and also if the rim is rusty or the tire is taking on thorns, time for a new tire. :(
Not a fun job on a hot day doing it yourself.. :(
Last edited by Arkie on Sun May 26, 2019 11:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
Arkie
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Sat May 25, 2019 9:27 pm

To add insult to injury. I thought I had the correct 20x8-8 tube the other night but my computer said no and so I tried the 18. Tonight I decided to put some parts away and found the 20 in an unprocessed box.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Sun May 26, 2019 7:31 am

Oh I have been having fun with my inventory lately too. I did price files import and the items that were superseded didn't carry the bin location over so the computer says I got the parts but I have no idea where they are. Luckily I do have general knowledge of how put parts away in the storage containers so it a matter of digging a particular set of them. Still not an easy task when it comes to small parts and especially when you are busy otherwise.

Boy my software has been a pain at this price file imports. Many fixes have been made mainly because the programmers was aware of the problems cause by very large file imports. I started taking 24 hrs to process one file. Then there was the feet [ ' ] and inches [ " ]import problems which I found way to it done but it a new test wrap feature which itself cause a major slow down of the imports. They said got it fixed now but I will not know until later today or tomorrow as I a new price file import to do for Oregon Forestry items. The darn tariffs are causing price increase again and it only been 2 n\months since my last update.

Mentioning thorns they are a problem here too especially with the Bradford pear trees. Once a thorn has made it way in through the 2 or 4 ply threads you need to boot the tire then put a tube will work until the next thorn gets it. I had one that fix three tires on the same mower for him just come back in week later with two flat again. He wanted me to fix them for free which I didn't. There is not much that stop two inch thorns when hit just right. My suggest was to remove the source of the problems or let a farmer with tires that can handle the thorns bush hog his property.

I got customers that want tubes install so badly dry rotted tire that I simple refuse to do it, instead I suggest new tires. Even a new Chinese tire is better than the old falling part tire though they will not last as long as the Carlisle tire they have.

Arkie not only hot weather is causing me problems changing tires but I messed up my back again. LUcky for me it just strained muscles this time. Sore as heck right now but I was down to using clutches for nearly two weeks. Embarrassing having to ask a customer for help to get up off the floor.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Sun May 26, 2019 9:08 pm

Earlier today I had a quick look at the rim and it looked good. Driving home tonight a thought hit me. The caked rust on the tube was adjacent to the tire , not the rim. So now I need to insure the inner surface of the tire is clean. The tire was slimed at one time.
38racing
Forum Pro

PreviousNext

Return to Technical Discussion Forum