• Advertisement

bad installer?

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Re: bad installer?

Postby KE4AVB » Mon May 27, 2019 3:03 am

Hmmm, I never seen rust between the tubes and tires before; always been between the tubes and rims.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby Arkie » Mon May 27, 2019 7:18 am

KE4AVB wrote:Hmmm, I never seen rust between the tubes and tires before; always been between the tubes and rims.

Found a very large good screwdriver inside a 15 inch truck tire once :o . Bubba had lost it when mounting the tire.

I have found small slivers of steel imbedded in a tire from mounting and un mounting a tire from the rim and I have seen old caked slime that appeared to be heavy rust scale until started cleaning. Rusty orange colored caked slime or fix a flat. If tube keeps getting punctured when in a tubeless tire and I could not locate the culprit, I have had to re-mount the tire tubeless, add air and look for the small thorn or nail in the area of the tube puncture.
Sometimes a thorn, etc won't be deep enough in the tire to puncture the tube until the tire start rolling with some weight on the tire. :(
Sometimes it's just time for a new tire.
Labor/Sweat vs turmoil. :( :oops:
Arkie
Forum Pro

Postby Arkie » Thu May 30, 2019 9:09 am

KE4AVB wrote:I have seen a few of those...

Thinking on the tube failure you just got a bad tube too. I about 10 yrs ago I got two bad tubes at the same time from a local tire shop for my tractor. They were dry rotted. I return to the store and their stock of that size were all bad except two new tubes they just got in. They were exchanged without question. Frustrating but it does happens when someone forget to rotate the stock which why I date my for the received in stock time so I always pull the oldest ones first, Plus only keep a couple of each of the most used size. Now I do buy the 15's in lots of ten as I go thru them quite regularly.

And BGS it not rose thorns that get most tire and tubes here but those dang Bradford pear tree thorns. Their roots also take out a lot blades. I install 2 tubes and within a month both had to be patched. Tubes are no match for 1" thorns. These Bradford's are more trouble than they worth to home owners but good for the repair business. ;)

The local electric company wanted to cut back mine by 2/3 and I ask if they could just remove them completely. They volunteer to do at no cost to me and they took out 24 of them. No more having to clean up down limbs every week but I do miss their shade.

When you mentioned Bradford pear tree having thorns, I got curious and finally had to investigate such.
I had some mature Bradford pear trees around place (several) and never seen a thorn on any og them.
You might want to keep a eye on any sprouts or shoots that try to come up from the stumps or old roots. they are the ones that produce the thorns.

Here is why:

Bradford pears are a grafted tree and the wild roots of them, if they are allowed to develop into foliage do have really long thorns on them. If the tree is healthy, you don't usually have this problem because all of the energy of the tree goes into developing good foliage, but if the tree has been cut and you have shoots coming out from the trunk, you will get the long thorns.
Arkie
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Thu May 30, 2019 11:38 am

Either way I eliminate as of them as I can. I don't like having to clean up after break. Matter of fact the place I brought had over 30 of them along the roadway. I had 25+ of them taken down to ground when the tree trimmer came though. Kinda glad I did as someone some ran off the roadway donating to me a portable air compressor. If the tree was still there someone would had been killed as they center right over the stump.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby Arkie » Thu May 30, 2019 1:14 pm

KE4AVB wrote:Either way I eliminate as of them as I can. I don't like having to clean up after break. Matter of fact the place I brought had over 30 of them along the roadway. I had 25+ of them taken down to ground when the tree trimmer came though. Kinda glad I did as someone some ran off the roadway donating to me a portable air compressor. If the tree was still there someone would had been killed as they center right over the stump.

My neighbor was complaining about his Bradford pear tree roots of three getting into his sewer lines. He cut the trees the roots stayed alive and started producing sprouts. I told him to use a herbicide on the stumps. Think he used Garlon on the stumps and it killed all of the roots and sprouts. We did not know that the new sprouts would be the thorn producers right where he also mowed. All gone gone now.
Arkie
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Thu May 30, 2019 8:57 pm

The sprouts are the worse for thorns.

To kill them here I used 24D Amine on the stumps. Cotton farmer hate 24D but when used right it is not a problem. I drilled holes, filled, and then plugged them.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Previous

Return to Technical Discussion Forum