• Advertisement

Shindaiwa. T242 String Trimme

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Shindaiwa. T242 String Trimme

Postby Rpmp3 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:27 pm

Shindaiwa T242 string trimmer Engine family EEHXS .0244ce Displace 23.9 cc mfg 2014 won't start. It will pop thru carb after about 5 pulls, I thought timing, removed flywheel to ck key intact,checked magneto cleaned contact grounds & reg aped flywheel to mag. Used business card, checked muffler removed screen looked at cylinder & rings looked good, did compression test 3 pulls 90 psi checked all screws holding cylinder,carb to motor, I do not have vacuum tester for seals could they be causing problem of no start l have replaced plug with new one machine acts the same even put a third plug in to ck plugs still same. The popping thru the carb sounds like timing, Oh the owner said it was running fine then made a funny noise & quit
Rpmp3

Advertisement

Re: Shindaiwa. T242 String Trimme

Postby bgsengine » Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:54 pm

First, if it is homeowner use, that is still under warranty if it is an ignition or defect issue. However it sounds to me like you have a fuel wuality issue 90 pSI compression is much too low - I would suspect stuck piston rings from excessive carbon due to poor quality mix oil or stale gas. Seals would not cause your issue. Plug - make sure it is an NGK BPMR8Y or BPM8Y which is the only one that will work correctly in those machines - champion equivalents do not work well in them. Second, it could be failing ignition module (unlikely but possible) does it kick back on the recoil when it "pops" through carburetor? it could well be "stuck" in advanced timing, though also unlikely, and only way to check that is at a dealer with the PET4000 ignition analyzer - but ignition module failure would be under warranty (lifetime on the module) if you don't mess with it further - I would check if the owner has registered the machine as homeowner use and if so, it is still under warranty, so I would suggest taking it straight to the dealer

However as you have already been "tinkering" with it , technically it voids the warranty - dealer may or may not take it in for warranty inspection...
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Return to Technical Discussion Forum