• Advertisement

RipBay strikes again

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

RipBay strikes again

Postby KE4AVB » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:52 am

I am starting work on a JD FD620D-ES01. Customer had brought a pair head gaskets because appears to have blown head gasket. Well he installed one and it is still having compression gas entering the coolant. It actually bubbling while the engine is running.

Yesterday he brought me the other head head gasket thinking he was going save the money on me buying new ones. Well the head gasket had been installed and other damage too. It appears the RipBay vendor sold him a pair of takeoffs. It is a shame that the customer paid for new gaskets but got these installed gaskets instead. I have ordered a pair plus intakes through my supplier for nearly same cost and I know they will be new and never mounted.

I can't reuse the gaskets due to I have a less than .002 warpage factor. This something I have got to yet as measurements plus I am awaiting a Mangaflux kit to check the heads for cracks. The warpage is something I am worried about as the customer didn't the service manual head removal procedure. I sure hope he didn't warp the head(s).
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: RipBay strikes again

Postby okie » Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:36 pm

hey KE4

Are those heads steel or Alum.?
I have never seen a magnaflux preformed on Alum.

Okie :usa:
John 3:16
okie
Forum Pro

Re: RipBay strikes again

Postby KE4AVB » Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:04 pm

They are aluminum. And yes I ask the same question when the auto parts store suggested the crack checking system. I was magnetism was needed and they being aluminum wouldn't work.

What I got coming is a dye base system with a developer and cleaner. I couldn't find any powder zinc oxide locally which would have worked using Kerosene and oil.

I beginning to think the owner needs to quit working on his own equipment. Three machines in the shop now and I having to correct his mistakes before I can finish the repairs. He was a very repairman at one time but the stroke he had years ago is beginning to take its toll. Hate to tell him that he needs to quit but I see the path he is on.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Return to Technical Discussion Forum